Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shuts off while driving - Stalling

Thanks for the info 16 gauge.

I got another problem now with my pickup 1996 Z71 with a 6.5TD. This truck is driving me nuts. It could run fine for months and then the engine lights up. When the engine lights up it could be on for days with no performance problem and sometimes it might stall and start up again but with no power. Last week it stalled while driving and the engine light came on. Was able to start it but then stalled again and unable to start it. Left parked for two days. Tried again on Monday and guess what no problem engine light gone and rides like a champ again. I had brougt it to GM the first time this happened and they changed the fuel pump that was two years ago. A year later same problem. GM this time changed the PMD and seemed to run fine. Only lasted a month then engine light came on again. The truck still performed well despite the engine light. I then called back the dealer and brought it in and with the scanner on they were not able to find anything wrong. The light went off and did not come back unit last friday since early summer. Is there a way to read the codes without going to the dealer? I'm also open for any suggestions?
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

rjschoolcraft Guest

Have you read this Turbo Tips article? This article addresses many other issues that can cause this problem.

I, too, am having this stalling problem now. My pump was replaced at 90K miles, but I now have 155K. The problem just started this week. I replaced my lift pump already. It stalled again this morning. I have noticed that it does not matter whether I am accelerating or just parked in the parking lot, it can stall. It always starts right back up with no extra cranking. However, when the engine is good and warmed up, it does not stall. Only on short trips around town does it happen. No light comes on for check engine. I went to a mechanic today and paid to have him check for history codes, and his scanner said there were no codes to report at all. I did notice that the fuel shut off solenoid (silver tube you can put your hand on in front of the injection pump) seems a bit loose; not a lot, just a little bit -- is that normal? Should I replace the PMD? Please help guys. This is a lot of money. Thanks.
    Adam
    '98 GMC K1500 4X4 extracab 3.42 gears SSdieselsupply heatsink/ FSD, JK 3.5" exhaust w/Allied "Quiet" muffler. JK Boost controller. ISSPRO pyrometer and boost gauges. '79 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz w/ 5.7L "Mr. Goodwrench" Diesel. All stock except: Racor fuel filter/separator and Delco #60G glow plugs (ground-down to make them fit). '83 Suburban with 6.2L Diesel and "Greasecar" fuel kit. '91 Mercedes 350SD with 3.5L 6 cyl turbodiesel (wife's car--best car I have ever owned). HaHa-I-love-dem-all!

Marty Lau Guest

Adam;
    There is a check list of items to check and work on before replacing the PMD. Do some looking around you'll find the thing to look at like, clean and check all grounds, the OPS, ECT. If you have have a small cooler put sone ice in it if it quits and won't start put ice on the PMD and if starts right up it most likey that.

Hi RonnieJoe

Thanks for the tips I read them and will definetly try them. The truck rides great again and for how long nobody knows. It's been two weeks since that mishap and still runs strong without doing anything. I'll wait until spring when it gets warmer to do the work since the truck does not fit in my garage. I have to work outside. It's still cold here in Montreal. It's -29C with the winds today.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Get a SOL-D unit from Remarq Tech and this will fix the stalling and no restart. If there are no codes the PMD is almost assuredly the culprit. You can buy a cheap scan tool that plugs into the OBD port under the dash and you can count the light flashes so you dont have to take it to a dealer.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

My truck has just now, after a year and a half being it's owner, started stalling on me. The first time about a week ago, at a stop light,it did not start right back up like most have reported. It took about 5 minutes of repeated trying before it would start. Second time it stalled just after pulling out of the driveway and restarted after about 20 minutes. I had an extra OPS so I installed it, just to see if I could get lucky. It was not easy to get at or to remove it. So far, it has not stalled again. I have ordered a new PMD to have as a back up. I've noticed some odd behavior coming from this truck for about a month now. Hiccups on the freeway cruising at 65. Surging from time to time. I've changed fuel filters, checked wiring and now changed the OPS. Only time will tell but it really seems to act like the PMD is starting to fail. Thank God for the diesel page. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    99\'GMC 6.5L Crewcab Dually S/B<br />k&n filter,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,<br />A-pillar Triple gauge pod<br />EGT,Boost,& Trans temp gauges<br />Intercooled, B&M shift tow mode<br />Kennedy boost controller<br />4.10\'s to 3.73\'s, VSSB recal<br />Heath FSD extension<br />home made heatsink<br />#9 resistor <br /> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174</a>

Hi Robyn C52

Will any OBD scan tool work on 1996 6.5td or is there a diffrent model because it's a diesel? Never used one that's why I'm asking. If I could do it myself it would be great I wouldn't have to go to the dealer and get charged for it.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Eddys, This one works for me and the price is right.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46030
    99\'GMC 6.5L Crewcab Dually S/B<br />k&n filter,4\" Pinnacle exhaust,<br />A-pillar Triple gauge pod<br />EGT,Boost,& Trans temp gauges<br />Intercooled, B&M shift tow mode<br />Kennedy boost controller<br />4.10\'s to 3.73\'s, VSSB recal<br />Heath FSD extension<br />home made heatsink<br />#9 resistor <br /> <a href=\"http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=4552677&uid=2319174</a>

Lightbulb

SOMEBODY do some splainin' on the ignition harness and other non-PMD issues related to stalling.

I went through PMD failure at the end of last summer. Put on FSD on cooler and left old PMD on pump. Added a new lift pump while we were at it.

Recently, its started stalling after hitting a bad bump or getting into a construction zone, milled pavement, etc. Not a good time to loose it. It's also has had a "bump" for the past few years at a certain excelleration (neither PMD nor lift pump fixed this). Sometimes this kick can be too much.

Cranks right back up in neutral on the fly.

I've also noticed that the gauges will sometimes quickly fall and start responding again with little other or no response from the engine compartment. Its so fast, I'm sure it happens at other times when I don't even notice.

The worn wiring issue sounds like it could have promise. Is the harness easy to get to, or will I have to get the tools to pull the steering wheel? What should I be looking for so I can see if I can repeat this in the driveway.
    David Hart<br />Greenville, SC<br />\'94 Blazer - 125K miles<br />Air box mods, K&N Filter,<br />Straight 3\" exhaust.

My truck stalled again after changing the ops. I finally installed a new fsd onto a large heat sink under the front bumper. I've gone on a trip towing a boat through the desert. So far the truck has been running like a champ. I'm certain at this point my problem was a failing fsd. With the out of the engine compartment location, fsd stays cool at all times, never getting over what feels like about 85F to the touch after long drives.
    Only time will tell but it's driving better than ever. No misses, surging or stalling since changing the fsd.

Just to let you know this week on Monday the Blazer died again. In late January they replaced the PMD at the GM dealer. The truck ran like a champ until Monday. Stopped in the front of my house when in to get something go back out and no start. It would just crank over and once in while sputter but that's it. Towed to the dealer and guess what? The PMD again. I don't understand it hasn't seen much heat it's not hot yet here in Montreal. I maybe put five thousand kilometers since the replacement module. Also this time around no warning signs it just quit working. In January it would stall once in a while while driving and start up again.
    The only good thing was they replaced the PMD under warranty.
    96 GMC 1500 Z71

Truckie117 Guest

Hey got my second PMD replacment after just 36,000 miles lets see how long this one lasts.
    Asked the dealer to remotely attach the Pmd he laughed. So lets see how long it lasts.

TTM Guest

I've been reading this string for awhile since my pickup has been stalling with no codes off and on for the last 2 months. I had the pump and the fsd replaced under warrenty in 2002 from the dealer. I'm pretty sure it's the fsd failing. My dealer has a Standanye fsd in stock. How hard is it to change this out? I would like to do the remote mount on the firewall what would I be looking at?

Barry Nave Guest

Changing the PMD, will need to take the intake manfold off to get to the driver. I would go for a FSD cooler and mount where JK has showen at his web site. Look under Tech Tips.
    I'm running the SOL-D,installed Nov. 94. This driver has solved a code 35-36 issue that I had been working on. The SOL-D is mounted on the intake where running a FSD cooler should be mounted else where in a cooler area. Before the install of the SOL-D I had a Beta cooler mounted PMD on the intake and the PMD only lasted 30K before it went bad. Had I mounted the cooler as showen in JK web site the PMD may have lasted longer? Still have the Beta cooler as a back up though I say the SOL-D is a better replacement for a driver.

[ 09-29-2005, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Bnave95 ]

arveetek Guest

I've owned my '95 6.5L for two days, and it's already stalled on me! While leaving a JV football game tonight, it shut off three times in less than a mile! It was hard to start after it shut off, too. After a couple of miles, it ran just fine again.

It's got about 30,000 miles on a dealer-installed IP. I'm sure it's the PMD, though. It shut off, but the dash lights stayed on. It doesn't like to start sometimes, either hot or cold.

Oh well, I've been reading up on the 6.5L's electronic problems for quite some time, so I was prepared for this...I was just hoping to get to drive it a little bit more first!

Casey

I'm a new forum member but I've had my truck for years. It's a 2001 H1 TD. I've been having stalling issues as of late as well. Here is what I've come up with.
    It seems unaffected by weather (hot, cold, wet, dry etc.) and only occurs for the first 15 or so minutes after startup (cold, or hot, but only after sitting for a while when still hot) It has never stalled or even stuttered after it's been running for a while. One engine code on the scanner. P1216 Fuel solenoind response time too short.It is very random. Sometimes it will be fine for weeks, then do it again. It seemed to dissapear for a while when I replaced the fuel filter, then came back. (coincidence?) Fuel does not have water in it. It has always started either right back up, or within 30 seconds or so. (except for my submarine commander incident, where I think the 4 feet of water I drove through may have made it's way into the fuel system, Long time ago) Sometimes it wont fully stall, only stutter and come back with a mighty cloud of black smoke for a second. It has symptoms of FSD, but once it's running, it's fine, so that leans me away from that. I got one opinion from the Hummer forum that it could be a fuel leak AFTER the lift pump. One small enough just to seep, and maybe not cause a drip, but enough to let air in after shut down. After the truck has stalled enough times, and run long enough to burp the air it runs fine. So they're saying maybe my filter isn't on tight enough, or something similar. I can't really look for seeping fuel, because the whole housing is doused in it from bleeding. The code says it may be caused by air entering the system. Does this sound feasable? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks for reading all that!

Adam

[ 10-19-2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Am General ]
    2001 HUMMER H1 6.5TD 38\" tires and a couple big fuel tanks!

Barry Nave Guest

Adam Welcome
    Our fuel tanks do have some vaccum in them. Try a day or so with fuel cap loose. A small leak can allow air into system. Our injection pump will run with out the lift pump working. A check would be to open water drain vavle when running to see if eng. stalls. This will tell if oil psi unit and lift pump are working.
    Another check would be to replace the return line from front of injection pump with a clear tubing and look for air bubbles.
    This can be done on injectors also. Worn or bad injectors can allow air back into system.
    Another thing to check would be the shut off solenoid.

Thanks for your feedback. I'll have to try the clear tube thing. Would a leak like that cause problems all the time? I was playing around witht the MT 2500 yesterday, and activated the ESO solenoid. It shut the truck off, but not smoothly like it is when the truck stalls. It's kinda jerky. I also activated and deactivated the lift pump. It made no difference with the truck running to shut off the pump, but that's expected I guess because the injector pump still sucks fuel. The lift pump works, at least to some extent, as I can bleed the filter housing and get quite a bit of fuel to come out. I'll try some of those things you mentioned and report back after I do. Thanks again for the warm welcome!
    2001 HUMMER H1 6.5TD 38\" tires and a couple big fuel tanks!

arveetek Guest

Originally posted by Am General:
    I've been having stalling issues as of late as well. It seems unaffected by weather (hot, cold, wet, dry etc.) and only occurs for the first 15 or so minutes after startup (cold, or hot, but only after sitting for a while when still hot) It has never stalled or even stuttered after it's been running for a while.
    Adam
    My truck was doing the same thing. I could start it up cold, then drive all day long without shutting it off, and it would never stall. However, after it had been shut off for an hour or so, it would stall two or three times in the first mile, and then be fine from then on out. My lift pump wasn't working due to a failed OPS (oil pressure switch). I got the pump running, but it didn't solve the stalling. I replaced the FSD and mounted in on an FSD cooler that I purchased from Kennedy Diesel, and it seems to have cured the stalling.

I believe the reason it was stalling after sitting for a while was due to heat from the engine soaking into the FSD and shorting it out. After driving a little while, it would cool back down some.

Casey