Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: P0087 fuel rail pressure low limp under high loads

Default Continuing the Saga

Hi,

Just returned to Illinois from Quartzsite towing the fiver. I have122k miles on an '09 LMM. No problems going down in January, but several 0087 episodes on return last week. Absolutely stock truck with auxiliary filtration and regular Power Service throughout its life. Regular filter changes. Regular Chevy dealer service at the same competent location. No lift pump (duly noted, John).

Obviously, working through this thread gives possible short and long term answers. But my solution for getting home the last 1,000 miles -- starting in western Oklahoma -- was to keep post turbo EGT's in the 1,000 degree range, and never more than 1,100. I used that as a proxy for the temps the injectors and incoming fuel were experiencing. I did this by doing a lot of manual gear selection on hills. I recall only one post in this entire thread that mentions that approach. Hmmm.

I will figure out my future with this truck somehow. But when other brands of diesels are notable for much longer injector life, it makes me wonder what GM has stuck us lifelong, committed customers with.

FWIW.
    Last edited by richp; 03-12-2018 at 08:49. Reason: typo
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Hi,

My dealer had it for two days, and as I expected, found nothing wrong -- injectors test solid, no codes left, and absent the load from towing heavy, on hills, while hot, no way to get their equipment to register my issue. They report all fuel lines solid, the fuel cooler clean, and no leaks anywhere.

These are two guys who know the truck since new, have serviced it thoroughly and regularly, and otherwise have my confidence. So for now I'm going to drive on and see what the future holds.

They did offer a thought that freeing up the exhaust might help keep overall temps down and thus keep the returned fuel cooler. Coming from a dealership, I found that interesting. Any thoughts on that from anyone?
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Default P0087

Hi Rich,

I agree with the dealer that opening up the exhaust would help cool the motor by lowering the EGT a little. I do not think it will get you a substantial drop in fuel temperature. Additionally, the noise caused by most large exhaust systems will make for a very long trip from Illinois to Arizona next year.

My post about the P0087 code was the one posted just before your post (take a look). If I keep plenty of fuel in my fuel tank it seems to cool the returning hot fuel and stop the P0087 problem. When your truck threw the p0087 code did you have over half a tank of fuel? I think a second fuel cooler would cool the returning hot fuel a lot better than a larger exhaust system. Just my thoughts on the P0087 code.

Good luck
    John
    *2006 Chevy, 3500, 4X4, DRW, (LBZ) D/A, CC, LT, 252K Miles, 19.5" Wheels, Mag Hytec Transmission Pan and Differential Cover, SS Grill Guard, Racor 2 micron aux fuel filter, 100 Gallon Aux Fuel Tank, using Edge Evolution, Predator Diablosport, Kennedy ECM tune, Fitch Fuel Catalyst.

*2006 Four Winds, Dutchman, 36', RV, D/A, 5500 Kodiak.
    *1993 Harley Davidson, Turbo charged, Springer Softail.
    *2007 Pontiac Solstice.
    *2005 Jeep, Liberty, CRD (diesel).
    *Full-timing in USA, see America first.

BUY AMERICAN or CANADIAN, NOTHING from CHINA .

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

I usually fill up at the end of the day's run with the fiver, so I can get a fast start in the morning. And I have been getting a few hours of clean performance -- until the tank is lower and the day is warmer. So refueling more often might help, although it would slow the day's progress.

I have pondered adding another cooler. Insofar as I recall, nobody in this thread has mentioned actually doing it, or a supplier with suitable hardware. So that is an option with dangling questions...

And yeah, the exhaust noise issue has occurred to me, and would be a turnoff. In addition to my own objection, I might never get Maureen to ride with me again. A very last resort, I think.

I appreciate being able to add your thoughts to the mix.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71