Thread: Replace ECM and/or PROM?

Default Replace ECM and/or PROM?

Been trying to track down some bugs that have kept my K3500 parked for some time now.

First were signs of PMD failure, such as sudden stalling at idle, but there was a concurrent problem with a very short glow plug cycle which began at the same time. So, now I have a new PMD, new extension cable, and have replaced the glow plug relay twice. Also replaced 3 out of 8 glow plugs and will be getting around to the rest of them soon.

Will failed glow plugs with zero resistance possibly be the cause of the short glow cycle? The cycle is typically like a half second with no follow through. Maybe once out of 10 tries it is normal and the truck will then start.

Finally, the OBDI system is flashing me codes when I don't ask for them, like with no jumper wire, and when I first turn the key to the run position in hopes for a proper glow. I don't get the glow but I get plenty of flashes from the CEL, apparently trying to tell me about the many codes the ECM is recording. Maybe these are stored codes, but most of them make no sense, and they are flashing even right after the batts were disconnected and before the truck is even started.

Any ideas?
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

Default Yep, it was the ECM

Finally, success. Removed the ECM and replaced it with a used one that I purchased off Ebay.

I took out the PROM chip that came with the Ebay ECM and replaced it with the upgraded PROM from the old ECM board. Have had 5 good, normal glow cycles and start-ups in the last two hours. So the culprit turned out to be some little gremlin that found his way into the ECM glow cycle controller.

Nice to have the old girl back up and running again. She's about to cross the 150K mile mark.

In spite of continual repairs and maintenance required for the six old cars & trucks that my wife and I own together (the two newest ones are 2006's, the oldest a 1980), my records suggest that we pay less in maintenance, insurance, licenses, taxes and fuel per year than does the typical owner of a single brand new rig, up to his neck in debt with the sales tax, monthly payments and license fees associated with that new car smell. I will never buy a brand new car or truck again in my life, period (unless I win the lottery of course).
    Black 95 6.5TD, 929 block, 173k miles, 65k on IP, 48k miles on self-rebuilt engine done in '09, 6 L&S Full-torque inserts in outer main crank holes, Clearwater heads, Fluidamper, rebuilt NV4500, 3" downpipe, 4" exhaust, no cat, dual T-stats, 9 blade fan, spin-on 180 degree clutch, Heath hi-flow water pump and turbomaster, PMD relocated, OPS relay mod, Heath PROM upgrade, and Kennedy headlight harness upgrade soon. Now use semi-syn Lucas 2-cycle oil every fill-up which greatly reduces the frequency of DTC 35-36 codes the PCM/ECM throws.

Outstanding!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by jerry598 View Post

In spite of continual repairs and maintenance required for the six old cars & trucks that my wife and I own together (the two newest ones are 2006's, the oldest a 1980), my records suggest that we pay less in maintenance, insurance, licenses, taxes and fuel per year than does the typical owner of a single brand new rig, up to his neck in debt with the sales tax, monthly payments and license fees associated with that new car smell. I will never buy a brand new car or truck again in my life, period (unless I win the lottery of course).

I hear you. I feel exactly the same.The newest we drive is a 05 Sunfire,her car.The oldest right now is a 2000 2500 GMC that i was given because the guy couldn't trade it in.He asked if i wanted it for parts,needed tires(Freebies from the dump),power steering pump and a rear brake line.295K KM's on it.Basic insurance,if anything gets totaled out,i will part it out and buy another.
    Should i win a lottery,i already know what i would buy.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    ......Should i win a lottery,i already know what i would buy.
    A Prius?
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    A Prius?
    A Velosorapter or whatever they call the Furd with a bunch of power and a yard of suspension.Would love to drive all bush trails around here with one.
    Would need a lottery sized wallet to fix all the stuff that would fall off.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    A Velosorapter or whatever they call the Furd with a bunch of power and a yard of suspension.Would love to drive all bush trails around here with one.
    Would need a lottery sized wallet to fix all the stuff that would fall off.
    It isn't a Dodge. The F will just quit.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com