Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Optimizer Oil leak, possible low pressure

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Any reason you can't have your cooler fixed,and strengthened.
    It fits were it was designed for,seemed to be working.
    Unfortunately not, the core is cracked in among the fins, took it to a shop that custom builds coolers for racing etc. and they couldn't do anything with it.

I think the key is the way it was mounted in the first place, the frame it is welded into in the picture bolts directly to the bull bar, as such there is no shock absorption or dampening available to the cooler. I plan to cut the old one out and mount the new one on some rubber mounts, much like the system Setrab uses. I may also use some bushings to mount the entire thing on the bullbar, I haven't quite decided yet. This vehicle spends 90% of its time off road so I'm keen to get it right this time.

So I got around to building a new cooler set up this weekend,

As mentioned earlier my hunch was that the hard mounting of the old cooler was what caused it to fail, so with that in mind I tried to design something that wouldn't have the same issues. Keep in mind I am in no way an engineer.

The only cooler I could find that was even close to the dimensions of the original was one designed for a Mazda RX7. It's a cheap Chinese version, but it seems to be built pretty well.

I cut the old cooler out and made up some brackets to mount the new one with.

https://imgur.com/wspgVIV

I then took some rubber stripping and cut a length that runs the whole of the base plate, the brackets were bolted down on to this and the cooler bolted to the brackets. Underneath the cooler I glued a strip of rubber and then a strip of foam. My idea here is that the bulk of the weight will be supported by the rubber/foam combo, while the brackets being bolted to the bottom strip of rubber should be able to flex enough to give the cooler some movement.

https://imgur.com/pSeJAnf

I painted it with some hi temp matte black paint. The only thing left to do is to track down the correct adapters for the hoses so they can plug into the filter and then make a bracket to support the hoses. I'll report back once I have the whole lot up and running.
    Last edited by kontour; 03-24-2019 at 05:47.