Thread: Help please, can't prime filter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Help please, can't prime filter

Happy Thanksgiving, here's what's happening. I used the remote starter this morning, it was about 14 degrees out, it ran for 30 seconds maybe then just quit. I tried once turning the key to see if it would light and it didn't. Picked up new AC fuel filter and put it in. It will not prime. Loosened bleed screw, pumped hundreds of times, nothing coming up. Open drain on the bottom of filter to see if I was getting anywhere and it's dry. I tried cranking it, then opened bleeder screw, slight hissing for a second or two, sounded like air going in. Almost a full tank of fuel. Fuel filter that was in it was only 11 months old, about 30k on it.

I flashed the ECM with stuff Kennedy Diesel, which I couldn't be happier with results, better mileage, much less DEF consumption, sounds more like a diesel. Also have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst which I think I like also.

I'm becoming a believer in a lift pump setup, thoughts on those appreciated also.
    Thanks for the help, truck apart and dead in driveway.
    Jesse

Arrow

Welcome aboard!

To keep it simple, at 14F, it sounds like the fuel is iced up, likely in the supply line before the filter. Begin by plugging in the block heater for a couple hours. You'll need to warm it up, like in a heated garage, or wait until it gets enough ambient exposure to a warmer temp (move it to sunlight, if that's an option) to thaw the fuel system. There are other options, but that depends on your urgency (or emergency), such as warming the lines with a hair dryer or using a forced-air shop/space heater under the truck (use due caution...). Once started, the system will keep itself warm as long as you run it often/long enough. Then, make sure your fuel is properly treated for the temperature. Do this BEFORE the next time it freezes, or you'll be repeating the same thing.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

It has been unseasonably cold in this neck of the woods lately. (Actually, all time record cold). However, everyone should have switched over to winter blend by now. When was the last time you filled up? (And where?)

[Edit] My guess is the fuel catalyst is a restrictive element, so there's a good possibility that's where the blockage is.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Thanks for the quick response. I used a heat gun and plugged in the heater and it was running within 20 mins. I just added some Howe's treatment and topped off the tank and ran it around for 20 mins. Running good now.

I filled it up 2 days ago, Citgo in Burlington, MA, they use a fair amount of diesel so I agree, I would think it is already the winter blend. I'm also afraid you might be right with the fuel catalyst being where the blockage was. i concentrated the gun on and around that and around the fuel filter housing and lines nearby. That fuel catalyst is not that restrictive, if at all, but I think it may give a good home for moisture/wax to start to develop and hang out. I'm hoping with treatment I can keep things running well.

Any thoughts on the Fass fuel system or similar lift pump systems? I'll check Kennedy Diesels site also for ideas, but I think I'm adding one of those soon as well.

Thanks again for the responses and help.
    Jesse

Arrow

If the fuel was winterized, it was not treated to manage the time @ temp you experienced, or we would not be in this discussion. The fuel suppliers normally treat the fuel as a regional need, based on average historical temps with little margin, so any drop significantly below that will cause what you had. I'm certain you are not the only one who experienced this, from that station. In the future, consider using the block heater when temps drop below the norm. It won't heat your entire fuel system, but will usually share enough heat in the engine compartment to edge the temps up enough if it's close to your fuel tolerance. A key-on period of 5-10 minutes before a start can also help, as the fuel filter heater will also engage during that time. All this helps a little, but is not reliable during extremes. It may have been enough today, but we're past that now.

Just a caution on the "heat gun"....
    Be careful using one. They get hot enough, if allowed to concentrate, to cause significant damage to surface treatments, seals, and other stuff, and can ignite flammables. I normally recommend a hair dryer, because they aren't hot enough to cause these issues, but are usually warm enough to help in mild conditions.

Fuel lift pump(s) are a great idea, and highly recommended. However, no system (short of a bypass recirc feature) would have helped you today. I recommend visiting Kennedy for a lift pump solution.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

The last 36 hours have been 20-25 degrees below normal, so if they're blending for "normal" temps, well, things won't end well. However, this is not our first rodeo and I didn't hear of any wide spread issues, at least up here. That said, though, Dmax is right, " it was not treated to manage the time @ temp you experienced, or we would not be in this discussion."

Try Jimmy's Garage on Rt 38 at the Wilmington/Woburn line. I bought fuel there for 10 years and never had a bad tank.
    Last edited by JohnC; 11-23-2018 at 20:46.
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse1975 View Post
    Almost a full tank of fuel. Fuel filter that was in it was only 11 months old, about 30k on it.

I flashed the ECM with stuff Kennedy Diesel, which I couldn't be happier with results, better mileage, much less DEF consumption, sounds more like a diesel. Also have a Fitch Fuel Catalyst which I think I like also.

I'm becoming a believer in a lift pump setup, thoughts on those appreciated also.
    Thanks for the help, truck apart and dead in driveway.
    Jesse
    30k is about 2x the expected life of a fuel filter these days.

Drop me an email and I have a nice prepared email with all of my fuel system recommendations including this:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=289
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I change mine every 10,000 miles regardless of what the DIC tells me. Filters aren't that expensive and I have done it so many times it is a piece of cake.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

Thanks for the email JK, when I get a bit of time I'll be ordering a pump and filter kit. I like the install under the air box, pretty slick.

What's the word on the new filters, the AC ones appear to be melt blown plastic/polypropylene/PVC something white as opposed to the layers of paper media. I'll cut the one I just took out when I get a chance. I just wonder if the Baldwin dual element paper media is a better filter than the melt blown plastic.

thanks again for all the help
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse1975 View Post
    Thanks for the email JK, when I get a bit of time I'll be ordering a pump and filter kit. I like the install under the air box, pretty slick.

What's the word on the new filters, the AC ones appear to be melt blown plastic/polypropylene/PVC something white as opposed to the layers of paper media. I'll cut the one I just took out when I get a chance. I just wonder if the Baldwin dual element paper media is a better filter than the melt blown plastic.

thanks again for all the help
    Jesse

That's a tough call on the filters. The AC Delco is definitely unique. More of a synthetic fabric type material. There is also another small cartridge filter inside wrapped with a microscreen. I suspect that the internal filter is there to catch fibers that might sluff off.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Default problem found...

Just to finish up this thread in case anyone finds anything similar, I had some water in the fuel that found a low spot in the fitting at the bottom of the Fitch Fuel Catalyst. I created a perfect inverted trap and once there was enough water to form a plug, it did when it was cold enough. There was about an inch more of an icicle sticking strainght out that I snapped off by accident before I could grab the camera. Fuel filter had a very small amount of water, like a drop or two. This trap was the perfect spot for it to form. Fitch removed and it's ran fine all winter.
    I also used Howes Diesel Lubricator which I can definitively say works quite well. It's claim to fame is to bring the water out of suspension in fuel into tiny drops that can settle out and be removed at the fuel water separator. I created a better trap for them here so they never made it to the drain at the bottom of the filter. I believe Power Service attacks water differently and keep it dissolved/absorbed in fuel and it goes through the pumps and injectors and gets burned and you never come across any water anywhere when you use it. I'll leave it to others to offer opinions if that trace amount of water further wears injectors/fuel pumps. I like Howe's, I thought it may have increased MPG slightly, but was going mostly for anti-gel. And it definitely removed water from fuel, unfortunately I collected that water in a lousy spot.
    Thanks for the help back then
    Attached Images Attached Images