Thread: Engine idles for a minute then dies after start up.

Default Engine idles for a minute then dies after start up.

Hi all.

I have a 2001 Chevy 3500 Cutaway box van with around 89,000 original miles on it.
    About three months ago I had an issue with the optical sensor. Led to two toes home and many parts later, finally tracked to optical sensor. In that process I installed a new remote PMD, new optical sensor, and everything has been running better than ever! Lots of power, runs great. I drive for work daily and haven’t had any issues. This morning. I hopped in. It cranked right up. Idled for a minute then just **** off. Didn’t sputter or anything, just died. I have 3/4 tank of fuel. And just put that in yesterday so I know for sure there’s fuel. I tried restarting multiple times and no fire. Tells me there’s no fuel to injectors. Crack the easy to reach injectors open from underneath. Try restart. Multiple times. No fuel at all coming from injectors. Pulled fuel shut off solenoid. Bench tested it. Works fine. Unplugged optical sensor. Cranked over several times and eventually got fuel at injectors. Tightened them back up. Fired right up and ran fine. Idled away normally for a few minutes never died or sputtered. Plugged optical sensor back in. Fired right up. Let it sit and idle. No issues. Hopped in it and moved my truck. Put it in park and revved the motor a couple times. On the second time, it died and now won’t restart again. Is it my optical sensor? It’s brand new three months ago! Something else? I’m kinda lost with it!
    Thanks for any help!

Have you tried a piece of clear line in the fuel return to check for air bubbles?
    Or checked fuel lines for leaks?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Check the fuel lift pump....

If the lift pump is bad it can cause issues like what you are having.

The lift pump should be running any time the engine is running.....

FUEL FILTER...WHEN WAS IT LAST CHANGED ?????
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

And as always on an electronic 6.5
    Check the PMD and it's remote cable.
    Just because they are new doesn't mean they don't have issues
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews