Thread: New to the group

Smile New to the group

Recently aquired an 86 CUCV and am though a career gas and diesel tech. I am just now getting a chance to get intimate with this very kewl rig. After looking over some threads I believe you all are going to be a great source of information and even inspiration.
    I do have a good deal of experience in both gas and diesel so will be happy to help others when I can.
    Thanks for having me
    86 CUCV
    Attached Images Attached Images

Welcome!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Wink My trucks future

Since I am new here I want to share what I want my truck to become
    Right now my M1009 is my daily driver and weekend (or when the tides dictate) off-road toy.
    I have been 4 wheeling for the purpose of accessing back country hunting and fishing since I was 6. Nowdays I do it for fun with my family as well.
    For the truck
    It is a bone stock 86 CUCV 6.2L NA that had 55K miles on it when I purchased it. 6.2, TH400/208, GM 10 bolt Front and rear w/3.08s govloc rear, open front on 33-12.50/15s
    For her future the intention is a kingpin D60/posi front, 14 bolt (or D60) locker rear, w/4:10s on 37s, connected to an SM465/205.
    As for the engine I honestly expect to learn a great deal about making my 6.2 produce respectable power and economy so as to enhance the drivetrain chosen.
    I mentioned tides. I live in Homer Ak. Here the beach is the best available area for offroading in a full size rig so we go there a lot. You must have your rig at its peak of reliability for it. The Tides wait for no man and broke or stuck is almost always a disaster.
    All that said I am open to any suggestions and in particular ways to increase engine power reasonably as well as attain fuel economy and reliability.
    Here are a couple pics of "The Buggy" .
    BTW the Camo stays, beauty is not the goal Going where I point the wheels and tap the skinny pedal.
    Attached Images Attached Images