Thread: Glow Plug System Problem

Default Glow Plug System Problem

I have a 6.2L diesel that is installed in a Defender 90. I don't think that this is an issue in itself, but to add context. The situation that I have is that when I turn the key to the accessory position, the dash light for the glow plugs turns on as normal showing that the system is engaged and when the light turns off I turn the key the rest of the turn to start the engine. Now the engine fires up and everything should be great, but what happens afterwards is that the glow plug light comes on and off intermittently with a series of clicks from the controller showing that the system is doing something. Can this be a problem with the controller or relay to the glow plugs? If anyone have any ideas of what the problem may be and its remedy would be much appreciated. -Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Madrugador View Post
    Now the engine fires up and everything should be great, but what happens afterwards is that the glow plug light comes on and off intermittently with a series of clicks from the controller showing that the system is doing something.
    I'm assuming this stops after a few seconds once the engine is running? If so, this is normal operation and is called "after glow." It's to help the engine smooth out after it is running but still cold. Even on my electronic 6.5L diesel, it will cycle the plugs 2 to 3 times (depending on ambient temperature) for a second or two each time after the engine has started.

If the plugs continue to cycle without stopping, then there is an issue with the glow plug controller.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Arveetek, you "hit it out of the park." What you described is exactly what is going on. Thank you for taking the time to respond. You and your family have a wonderful Christmas Season!

You too!

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter