Thread: how does my transfer case work?

Default how does my transfer case work?

i have 218,000 miles on my truck, i just changed the fluid in the thing, the fluid that came out was as blue as the sky.....i was expecting black....

mine is manually operated...when does it spin and do its job?

i used dextron 6...2 quarts!
    06 1ton 4X4 duramax/6speed ext.cab WT
    Hummer wheels :^)
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Arrow

Someone, previously, serviced with the wrong fluid. It sounds like what you drained was "Autotrac II" fluid (which is blue, so they don't get confused....), which is for 1/2 ton and (light, 8600 GVW) 3/4 ton truck/suv/van vehicles with "Autotrac", or "Auto 4x4". Autotrac is an electronic system, not available on any of the HD vehicles. Dexron III or VI is the correct fluid for your TC, and any 2001+ 2500HD or 3500/HD.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Someone, previously, serviced with the wrong fluid. It sounds like what you drained was "Autotrac II" fluid (which is blue, so they don't get confused....), which is for 1/2 ton and (light, 8600 GVW) 3/4 ton truck/suv/van vehicles with "Autotrac", or "Auto 4x4". Autotrac is an electronic system, not available on any of the HD vehicles. Dexron III or VI is the correct fluid for your TC, and any 2001+ 2500HD or 3500/HD.
    i bought my truck new...never did anything to the transfer case.
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Arrow

Someone did. The dealer gets the fluid wrong as often (perhaps more) as anyone. It could have been done during a routine service, or Pre-Delivery. They often arrive at the dealer low on fluids, and the dealer will (or should) perform a Pre-Delivery Service before you drive it away.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    Someone did. The dealer gets the fluid wrong as often (perhaps more) as anyone. It could have been done during a routine service, or Pre-Delivery. They often arrive at the dealer low on fluids, and the dealer will (or should) perform a Pre-Delivery Service before you drive it away.
    anyway..parts guy sold me 6 quarts it took only 2..am i cool?
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

Arrow

Two quarts is right, so you're cool. I'm not sure why he would sell you 6 qts. That's not enough for a tranny service (even if he got that wrong). Long ago, I quit wondering why dealers do what they do.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

it was a napa store....
    dual lift pump
    Banks air intake

AKMark is offline Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

I've seen Tranny fluid get dark in a T-case, especially after it's old and been through a few too many heat cycles, and or worked hard
    05 2500HD CC LB LLY, 4x4, 3.73s 235/85R16's, webasto cab heater, to keep it warm.
    03 Buick Rendezvous - When you average over 80 miles per day driving around, you need one of these.
    85 K-5, 6.2, SM465, Rockwell T221, 1 tons, 36's. More goodies to be installed as time and money allows.
    82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
    72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project