Thread: Need power steering fluid info

Default Need power steering fluid info

What is the proper fluid for the power steering system, beyond the GM part number? Dex III? Can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.

From the owner's manual for my 2005:

GM Power Steering Fluid
    (GM Part No. U.S. 89021184, in
    Canada 89021186).

Quote Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
    What is the proper fluid for the power steering system, beyond the GM part number? Dex III? Can't seem to find it anywhere on the net.
    Not knowing what kind of truck (make model year) you have, but I just flushed my power steering fluid and replaced it. I used NAPA's brand of power steering fluid which is actually Valvoline.

I was trying to find some kind of synthetic fluid and it was taking up a lot time to track down, but as easy as it is to flush I'll probably do it every year maybe every other and use the NAPA fluid. $15 a gallon and it took about 3/4 of that gallon to flush and fill.
    Jeff

"But officer, I ain't Speedin', I'm just flyin' low"

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    2004 Suburban 2500 LT 6.0L 4x4, Bilstein Shocks, Federico front/rear sway bars
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Arrow

Dexron III is as good, or better as any PS fluid. Synthetic Dexron is better (I use/recommend Amsoil Dex III). A thorough flush/fill (very simple) is good periodic practice.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Sorry - it's a 2006 2500HD with Duramax and Allison. It has 105700 miles on it as of today.....

Quote Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
    Sorry - it's a 2006 2500HD with Duramax and Allison. It has 105700 miles on it as of today.....

If the power steering fluid hasn't been flushed in all those miles, you're do.

Here is how to do it once you decide what fluid you will use. And, once you see how simple it is and that it can be done on a regular basis may help you decide if you want to use the more expensive syn fluid or the conventioanl stuff.

1. Under the hood on the driver's side next to the fire wall up high there is a rubber return line w/ a spring clip holding it on. It's real obvious and the only one there.

2. Remove the clip and hose, then attach a piece of clear 3/8" tubing 6.5ft long onto the fitting using a small hose clamp.

3. Run the other end of hose to a catch pan on the floor.
    NOTE: Make sure that you put something on the hose in the catch pan to hold the end of the hose in the pan (I used vise grips to hold it).

4. Start the truck, in park, slowly depress the brake pedal as far as you can and hold it. Then turn your steering wheel clockwise 1/4 turn, back to center, then 1/4 turn counter clockwise then back to center. Slowly release the brake and re-apply and turn steering wheel again.

5. IMPORTANT!! Continue doing the 1/4 wheel turn and depressing brake procedure until you hear the pump make noise (mine took 3 iterations). Stop immediately and turn off truck.

6. Fill the power steering reservoir with fresh power steering fluid (I used NAPA brand which is actually valvoline $12.99 a gallon on sale).

7. Then repeat procedures 4-6 until you see clear fluid going thru the hose.
    NOTE: Mine took a little over 3/4 of a gallon of steering fluid. Probably more than I needed, but I wanted to get all of the old stuff out because the old fluid was really BLACK!

8. Once clean fluid is coming out, remove the clear hose and reattach the rubber return line and spring clip. Also, make sure there is enough new fluid left over to refill the power steering pump when you're done.

9. After you refill the reservoir for the final time, start the truck and move the wheel back and forth, then recheck fluid level, add if needed.

All done.
    Last edited by Heartbeat Hauler; 07-20-2011 at 09:07.
    Jeff

2001 Silverado 3500 Dually LS Ext Cab, 6.6L Diesel, Banks Stinger Kit, 4" Exhaust, VR Straps, Bilstein shocks, 255/85/16 BFG KM2s
    1996 Caprice 5.7L LT1, B4U Suspension, KYB shocks & Hotchkis sway bars, BMR RCA - alas I miss ya.
    2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Hmmm, sounds easy. I will do that service work this weekend.....Thanks for the instructions.

Tom

My pleasure...
    Jeff

2013 Caprice PPV 6.0L

Arrow

Good advice!

If you have a helper, you can pour clean new fluid into the PS reservoir to help stay ahead of the drop in fluid level. This'll help prevent the PS pump from sucking air.

Like Heartbeat said, once you see clear fluid coming out of the brake booster hose, you've flushed the system. Just reconnect the PS return hose, verify the cold fluid level in the PS reservoir and you're done.

Jim

Thanks for the info, when I replaced my steering gear the color of my fluid was horrible. Like Black.

Most of the fluid in the system drained out but I need to do another flush to the get the rest.

Is there an inline filter for power steering in these trucks?
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
    Thanks for the info, when I replaced my steering gear the color of my fluid was horrible. Like Black.

Most of the fluid in the system drained out but I need to do another flush to the get the rest.

Is there an inline filter for power steering in these trucks?
    No filter... Though one can be added.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    No filter... Though one can be added.

https://www.google.com/search?q=powe...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Nice, I'll get one and figure out where to insert it. I guess in the return line is the obvious place!

I'll take some pics when i'm done.
    GMC Sierra 2500hd 2004.5 now with ARP studs

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by gary_lucas View Post
    Nice, I'll get one and figure out where to insert it. I guess in the return line is the obvious place!

I'll take some pics when i'm done.
    Yes, inserting a fluid filter in a low pressure line would make the most sense.

In searching PS fluid recommendations here in these forums, I found threads that made the case for synthetic ATF (some by DMaxMaverick). Synthetic fluid will handle higher temperatures better than conventional fluids.

Arrow

Adding a low-restriction filter to the return will not hurt anything, but it should be located BELOW the reservoir. The tiniest air leak (even if it isn't leaking fluid) can cause the additional fluid volume to drainback and overflow. The benefits of a return line filter is minimal, IMO. Power steering system issues usually involve pump failure, which will cause issues/failures with downstream components. A high pressure filter should be installed at the pump outlet to maximize system protection. Ideally, both would provide the maximum benefit, along with a cooler (which should also be installed below the reservoir level).

I do not recommend using synthetic ATF in place of OEM recommended power steering fluid. My reason for discussing it is purely anecdotal personal experience. I use it, and have had excellent results. My power steering system issues were reduced by more than half when traditional/recommended fluid is flushed and replaced early (a year or less in a new or repaired system). This is my experience with more than a dozen vehicles over 30 years, with and without using synthetic ATF, but also with coolers installed on most of the trucks. I've used only Amsoil and Mobil 1 synthetics, so can't comment on any of the others.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    clip... I do not recommend using synthetic ATF in place of OEM recommended power steering fluid. My reason for discussing it is purely anecdotal personal experience. I use it, and have had excellent results... clip
    I normally recommend stuff I've found that works as well as or provides an advantage over the factory equivalent.

Additional discussion on PS fluid.

http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...steering+fluid