Thread: Banks 6.2 turbo on a 6.5,,

Default Banks 6.2 turbo on a 6.5,,

Has anyone on here tried a non waste gated turbo from the banks kit made for the 6.2 on a 6.5? I assume it would free up the exhaust flow a bunch. I am talking just the turbo, not the whole banks 6.2 kit.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

The turbo should work fine if you can get it bolted on and the exhaust routed out of the engine bay.

The Cubic inch displacement of the engines are so close and the design is for all practical purposes identical.

There are better turbos available, but if the one from the Banks kit is available and at a good price...give it a go.

A nice radius outlet of 4 inches or so and then down should work fine.

You will need to fashion a bit of a modification to the oil return line that is used on the GM X that is there now.

Possibly a mod to the air inlet hose as well.

If the Banks will bolt to the manifold flange and clear everything you have the biggest part of the battle handled..

Good luck

Have fun
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Quote Originally Posted by 94GMC2500 View Post
    Has anyone on here tried a non waste gated turbo from the banks kit made for the 6.2 on a 6.5? I assume it would free up the exhaust flow a bunch. I am talking just the turbo, not the whole banks 6.2 kit.
    They use different flanges, so it won't bolt up. Not worth the trouble trying to adapt everything over. Like Robyn said, there are much better options.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

I have a banks 6.2 turbo from a old suburban I used to have. It has the same bolt pattern as a gm8 I have.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by 94GMC2500 View Post
    I have a banks 6.2 turbo from a old suburban I used to have. It has the same bolt pattern as a gm8 I have.
    Interesting! My resources say that one has a T3 flange, and the other has a T4, and an adapter is required to interchange them....

What is the model # of the Banks Turbo you have? Perhaps it's not the originally supplied 6.2L turbo....

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

My Banks 6.2 turbo, looks like a TO4 with a TO3 flange.
    Attached Images Attached Images

IF YOU CAN BOLT IT TO THE MANIFOLD FLANGE...Give it a go.

To keep from destroying the oil drain tube that came on the truck stock, simply fashion a hose that will handle oil and that will slip on the adapter at the block on the rig...add a hose clamp and good to go..

The stock oil pressure feed to the turbo will likely adapt to the Banks unit if it's long enough.

The oil feed hose is off the shelf stuff though...easy to find..
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY