Thread: Pondering a New Truck

Default Pondering a New Truck

Hi,

Notwithstanding my happiness with my current truck, at 140,000 miles I have developed a few questions/concerns about future long distance towing.

The engine is solid, body decent, new drive shaft and u joints, new alternator, one new half shaft, new shocks and tires and brakes, all fluids serviced regularly, solid Kennedy mofifications via lift pump and mild ECM changes. It is set up the way i like, and there is no reason to think anything is going to grenade on me.

But making long trips towing introduces a bit of complexity if you break down. And aside from dealing with a tow for two vehicles, there is the element of "what if the nearest Chevy dealer or trustworthy diesel shop (and how do you know it is, anyway?) is 100 miles away?" Will my Allison have to be shipped off 500 miles to get rebuilt and how long will I be stranded?

So I am vaguely thinking about a new truck and have a few questions. My dealer tells me the 2020 trucks will have a new body style, but still use the same power train

Those of you with a 2019, what kind of fuel economy are you getting? Is your DEF system any real trouble and how often do you refill? Is there a port from the factory for a pyro or do you have to have one drilled out yourself? Any comments about the exhaust brake?

Finally, understanding individual travel stress tolerances vary, any other comments about the reliability issue would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

I just returned from a 1,400 mile trip towing a heavy 5th wheel. My 2006 LBZ with 199,000 on the clock did great. My average mpg for the entire trip was 11.8.

What has been done to this truck other than normal fluid/filter changes since new? I'm sure I will forget some items but from memory:

Front wheel bearing assemblies
    Steering section
    Shocks
    Brake booster
    Transmission cooling lines
    1 injector
    XM Radio receiver
    Steering shaft (3 times I think) and bearing/bushing (I forget which)
    Climate control head
    Headlight/dimmer switch control panel
    Rearview mirror/window adjustment remote control panel

Expensive repairs, but the truck is paid for and it does what I need. The engine has never ever burned any oil between changes and the oil filter has been changed with each oil change at 5,000 mile intervals. The fuel filter has been changed 19 times with number 20 coming up soon. The Allison will see a fluid/filter change at 200,000 which will be the 7th change. Oil and filters are cheap.

New truck? No way and no DEF problems here.
    Last edited by EdHale; 06-26-2019 at 04:18.
    Ed
    KM4STL

'06 Sierra LBZ 4x4 Crew SB, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, TTT/Schefenacker Mirrors
    '98 Suburban, 245,000 - sold 7-4-06

OK, let me simplify my request.

Does the L5P have a factory pre turbo pyro probe?

Thanks.

Rich
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

Nobody with a new truck feel like commenting ?

Rich
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71