Thread: Heat Shield

Default Heat Shield

Can I replace my heat shield on the turbo side of my engine and use heat wrap on my down pipe and turbo housing instead.

Alright, I'll humor this question.

But first, I'll answer your question with another question. Why would you want to remove the factory heat shield on the turbocharger?

You could use header wrap on the exhaust housing, this will lessen the effect of heat on other components near the pipe. I think it would work just as well. The problem with this stuff is that it doesn't last a long time, and it can also become a wick in the event diesel fuel or oil saturates it. In short, it can be used to support a fire. This migth explain why the factory doesn't use it.

As part of the alternative, you could have the housings of the turbo ceramic coated which would help keep the heat energy inside the turbo and in the exhaust system. It would also help keep it out of the engine compartment. But, you'd still want to keep the shield.

Hope this helps...

I only asked that question becuase when I went to the drag strip a few days ago alot of the turbo cars and trucks were using the wraps.

Street/Strip cars that have turbo added to them use the wrap because they're trying to protect the engine components from the heat from having a turbo that it originally didn't have.

My drag truck is no exception here either...

Default Exhaust wrap

I did that on my truck and the down pipe ended up corroding a lot quicker so I'm not doing it this time.