I've taken my first step down the Diesel Swap path.
I have been talking about it for quite some time, but now, I own a Diesel Donor.

1993 GMC Vandura 3500 Utility VAN 6.2L Diesel 1 ton (I hope this link works)
eBay Item Number: 170121009793

It is a 1993 GMC Vandura 3500 Utility VAN powered by a 6.2L Diesel and backed by a 4L80 tranny.

The PROs
• 1993 was the last year for the 6.2L Diesel and should have all the refinements/updates/upgrades for a factory 6.2.
Such as, modern real main seal, serpentine belt system, updated DB2 injector pump, etc..
• VAN Diesels are different than Truck/Blazer/'burb motors as they have different exhaust manifolds, water pump inlets, other smaller items
• Because the 4L80 is behind a 6.2, it has a stand alone computer and should be easy to rebuild! (like an overgrown TH400)
• Suppose to run 'great' (we'll see, I hope it does)
• The Mirrors, large fuel tank(?) and 16" load range E tires will go on my J20.
• As the 14 bolt rearend is too wide for my Wag, I might could sell it to recoup some of my cost.
• It was cheap!

The CONs
• It's 340 miles from me. (time)
• It has 197,753 miles on the clock, but I've been told that if a 6.2l has been taken care of, that should be okay with this many miles.
Being that is a cargo van, I am hoping these are highway miles.
• It's 4L80 slips bad, but can lot drive (tranny rebuild $$$)
• I need to trailer it or flat tow it home (gas $$$)
Any suggestions as to which would be better?
• I need to find a place to park it while I pull the drivetrain out (I need to be good neighbor) (space)

My goal is to make my '86 Grand Wagoneer a DD to replace my ailing '99 Grand Cherokee (WJ).
My WJ gets approx 18 on the highway (I may have gotten 20 once) and about 15-16 in town.
I would love to get as good if not better MPG with a larger vehicle while using cheaper fuel.
Besides, my Waggie is way kewler than my WJ would ever be!

This is a long term project that I will work on a little at a time.
My budget is very limited for such hobbies.
I will most certainly will be asking many more questions and post pics as I go along.
If my WJ get any worse, which I am sure it will, I may accelerate this project.
It really depends on which is cheaper to fix at the time.
Today, it's a wash, about the same amount of investment of time and $$$ to either repair the WJ or swap a Diesel into the Wag.
Which should be an indicator of how bad the WJ is.

I'll make another posting with the details and pics of when I go collect it.