Thread: 14 bolt Full Floater brakes R&R info

Default 14 bolt Full Floater brakes R&R info

The big blue truck (dually) is up for its safety inspection. I know the rear adjusters are locked up solid, and my 'pedal' has been pretty low lately. Not wanting to take the chance of failing, I figured I'd look at the brakes. Well, I learned one thing about these trucks...

Aint nothing easy!

I thougth that I would just take off the wheels and pop the drums off. HA! The drums are unit parts of the hubs. But with the help of a friend who is familiare with larger trucks, we dove into it.

I removed the axle flange bolts and with a very light amount of prying, the axles slid out. Use a catch tray, as a bit of gear lube will come out with them. Once clear, you will see a big nut with a key in it and a round circle-clip holding the key in. A flat blade screwdriver made short work of removing the clip, and a magnetic pick-up fished out the keystock.
    With the keystock out, the big honkin' nut is free to rotate. Unscrew the nut and remove it completely. Not the hub/drum unit is free to be removed. This sucker is HEAVY. Get some help or a floor jack or something. I about busted a nut pulling it out. The bearings come out with the hub.

With the drums off, I could see that I had plenty of brake shoe left, but the adjusters were totally frozen. A little squirt of some PB blaster, and a big pair of pliers later, and they broke loose. I coated them in anti-seize, and screwed them all the way in and back out to make sure the inside threads got some anti-seize on them.

Putting the hub/drum unit back on was not fun. Be careful not to knock the bearings. First off, though, degrease everything inside the drum with some brake cleaner and give it a once over visually. My drums and bearings all looked to be in pretty good shape.

Once the hub/drum is back on the axle tube snout, install the big-honkin' nut. I have absolutly no idea what the torque spec are for this, so I used my best, "front-end-spindle-bearing-nut-tightening-by-feel" method. Not loose, not really tight. Just tight enough to eleminate any play, and then a quarter turn more. There are a bunch of keyways in the nut that will line up with a keyway in the snout eventually. My 1/4 turn more actually wound up being slightly less on both sides, to get the snout keyway to line up nicely with a nut keyway. Then slide the keystock back in and re-install the circle-clip.

The axles then went back in with a bit of silicone to seal things up. I installed the wheels and tires, and then set the brake adjustment through the little hole in the backing plate.

A heavy, and dirty job, but not too difificult for the average mechanic.

Tim
    Ford Owner.

Music by Andrew Lloyd Weber. Lyrics by Andrew Dice Clay

Replacing bearings on these things is fun. You probably noticed that the design of the hub prevents you from just taking the outer bearing out - you have to remove the wheel seal, take the inner bearing out, then knock the inner race out from the outside end of the hub. Next, remove the big snapring that the outer race seats against. Then you have to turn the outer bearing perpendicular to the hub and knock the outer race back through the hub. Then the outer bearing comes out from the inside. Assemble in reverse order.

PS - You'll want something like this to remove that snapring. Due to the depth at which it's seated and how thick it is, standard snapring pliers won't work.

BTW, the hubs and drums are separate pieces held together by the wheel studs, but corrosion often makes them look and act like they're unitary. A BFH is the best tool for separating them, simply put the hub on a small block of wood so the drum's not touching the ground and beat the holy hell out of the drum till it comes off.
    Last edited by NH2112; 11-06-2006 at 20:20.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.

Good info, folks - this might help with the back-breaking part

As I knew my drums did not need surfacing, I bought a 60buck hydraulic ATV jack from harborfreight, jacked the diff up, slid the ATV jack under the dually tires\wheels\drum combo, eased up on the lift platform to take the load, strapped the assembly down, and backed it off the diff spindle.

Went back same way - no fuss, no muss, no 1500bucks for a snapon wheel dolly - and no thread\keyway damage to the new seal.

Oh, yeah - I'm bad, I'm bad, I am sooo bad.........
    jd
    '96 Dodge 3500HD cc 2wd drw............'89 GMC 3500 cc 4wd drw
    5.9 12v #10TST 6sp SBC13-1.375.......6.5TD EFI maxEtorq v2.0 DSG
    DODGE makes it CUMMINS shakes it.....4L80E 205 4.10 Dana60\70HD
    6 in a row makes it go.......................Grandpa's big truck

Just had mine apart a month or two ago - I agree that it isn't nearly what brake work on smaller vehicles is like!

A couple tidbits - AutoZone had the special socket to remove the funky spindle nut in their "free rental" tools. As it was less than $20 I just bought it outright so I wouldn't have to run to the store the next time, but you can return it and get your money back. The "magic" number is 50 lb/ft on torquing it back on.

There is a lot of good information here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billav...ble/index.html

Pirate4x4 can be a bit salty on the bulletin boards, but BillaVista is a good wealth of information.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Arrow

GM's updated tightening procedure is very important. The bulletin includes the 10.5" and 11.5" full floater rear ends. The bulletin # is 02-04-20-002, dated May, 2002.

Ensure the seal is completely seated on the spindle. Tighten the nut to 52 lb/ft, while rotating the hub counterclockwise a couple turns. Once you are certain the bearings and seal are properly seated, loosen the nut until it is loose. Retighten the nut to finger tight. There must be ZERO torque on the nut. Turn the nut counterclockwise (loosen), if necessary, until the keyway lines up. NO MORE THAN one slot to line it up! Secure the retainer.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks for the update!

[edit] I'm a bit surprised that there is that much of a discrepancy in instructions - 50 lb/ft to finger tight? [/edit]
    Last edited by trbankii; 11-07-2006 at 10:24.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Quote Originally Posted by gmctd
    Oh, yeah - I'm bad, I'm bad, I am sooo bad.........
    Laziness, not necessity, is the true mother of invention!
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Quote Originally Posted by JohnC
    Laziness, not necessity, is the true mother of invention!

I use a forklift, HA
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Default Dumb questions with too many variables, BUT -

How many miles can ya normally get on a set of Rear Shoes before you have to dig into this?
    OOps sold my "baby" - 96 K-2500 6.5TD - ~047,068mi, Isspro's Boost, Pyro, and Tranny temp; Heath Plate Remote mounted FSD; Amsoil Fluids and Air; Bilsteins, BD Down Pipe-Gutted CAT-& B-D'ized 3.5 Kennedy exhaust; '97 cooling upgrade; CAD upgrade; new IP at 34,700 under warranty; Homemade: Boost fooler, Hi/Lo idle, OPS relay, TCC Lockup ( TFT), Glow extender for AC60's, & "GMC H..'s" 6 position Shift modifier .

I have about 30K on mine right now, and there not showing any signs of givin up and this is a DD with 38's
    Main rig-1978 chevy 3/4 f/t 4x4 8" lift 38 14.5 16 toyo m/t's. BUILT 350(soon to be 6.2) quad batteries. front and rear 15k winches. lockers F/R. dana60 front full float corp 14 rear. th400/np203.

donor rig. 1988 GMC K3500 140k miles, th400. IFS(read CRAP) semi float 14 rear. drove it 142 miles home at 17mpg and 1/4 quart of delo 400.

Default What version do I have?

My 96 Suburban has the 14-bolt, 10.5", full-floating, rear end; but my drums slide right off after removing the wheels.
    Is this something they changed at some point.

I have a leaking rear seal, so I plan on diving into this soon.
    96 Suburban K2500 6.5L TD. High miles and daily driven (for now). Remote mount FSD with cooler, Turbo Master/Boost fooler, 4" Jardine turbo back exhaust, 2.5" cross-over pipe, Boost, EGT, & Tranny temp gauges, working on more.

Quote Originally Posted by MTTwister
    How many miles can ya normally get on a set of Rear Shoes before you have to dig into this?

It's really not that big of a problem, IMO....but that might be due to the fact that everything I work on except my truck needs brakes done the same way LOL

Basically I'd say you're looking at an extra 15 minutes per side for removing & replacing the hub, wheel seal, and axleshaft. Add another 15 minutes each per side for R&R the drum and wheel bearings. The wheel bearing socket (OTC, Snap-on, Matco, etc) runs about $25, it's 3/4" drive so you'll need an adapter for your 1/2" drive stuff if you don't have 3/4" drive. The snapring pliers are more expensive - $85 from Snappy, don't know what KD, etc, get for them - but you definitely need them.

From what I understand, the 95s and later used slide-on drums like a 1/2-ton. I don't know if the hub design remained the same, with the snapring for the outer race and "out the back" disassembly/assembly method.
    Phil

'90 Jeep Wrangler, 4.2l, AX15, Dana 30 & 35 with 3.07s (for now!) 4" Rough Country lift, 33x10.5x15 BFG KM2s

'91 F350 XLT Lariat crew cab, 2WD SRW, 7.3l IDI, ZF S5-42, 3.55 LSD.