Thread: 2-Cycle Oil mixed in Fuel?

Default 2-Cycle Oil mixed in Fuel?

I was reading a thread in another site. (Just lookin') They were saying its OK to use 16oz of 2Cycle Oil in every other tank of fuel. They say it helps keep the system lubricated (especially the pump) and may prolong injector life. Any thoughts???
    2001 GMC 2500HD CREW CAB 4X4 D/A Lucerix X-Mount, Fumoto Valve, 100% Amsoil,
    Leer High Rise Cap
    Discover America in a D/A!
    2003 Cougar 30' T/T SOLD!
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

Arrow

Sound logic, IMO. I've been using 8 oz. in every tank for years. Don't know why they would suggest every other tank, though. If it's beneficial, the benefit should be used every time.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Thanks DMAX...that's good to know...I don't know why they say every other tank...could their suggestion be so the fuel doesn't get too saturated with oil? My question now would be; will the oil separate and settle to the bottom of the tank if it sits too long? Would too much oil hurt the fuel filter.
    Leer High Rise Cap
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

Arrow

Realistically, you could run straight 2 cycle oil. You may have some injector fouling issues after a long while, but it would run.

No, it will not "settle out" of the fuel. Once it's mixed, it will remain indefinitely mixed. There may be some point in time where some of it's properties my separate, but probably not in my lifetime....and it ain't gonna sit for years to allow that to happen.

2 cycle oil has some very desirable properties. Fuel stabilization (long term storage, helps keep fuel molecules bound together instead of separating and souring, like gas does), lubrication, and viscosity improvers (helps the fuel flow through very small orifices). The oil is designed to be used in small(er) engines, which generally run at significantly higher combustion temps, which may add some heat handling qualities, such as valve burnishing. And, it's designed to burn, which means there should be a minimal amount of fouling anywhere in the combustion path.

I use the cheapest stuff Walmart has by the gallon. It's the TWC rated oil, which is designed for water cooled engines. The non-TWC oil is designed to burn in higher temp air cooled engines, and may have undesirable characteristics in your much cooler running Diesel. Not scientific by any means, but it makes sense to me.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I have been running 2 cycle oil at a rate of 1/2oz per gallon since ULSD was introduced. Adds just a bit more lubrication for the injector pump and nozzles. I use 2 cycle oil in the truck and tractors.

Try this, next time you fuel your truck leave it running at the pump, put in 12-16oz of 2cycle oil and then fill the tank. By the time you are finished fueling you will likely be able to tell the engine is quieter.
    2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD, EC, SB, 4x4 LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamod Eye Downpipe, MBRP 4" Cat Delete Pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, GoodYear 265/75R 16E, Eagle Alloy 16"x8" wheels, Autometer EGT/Boost gauges, 50 gal in bed aux fuel tank.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Thanks everyone...I did add the oil this morning...I poured in 16oz of the PENNZOIL Multi-Purpose 2-Cycle Oil then filled up with 17 gal of fuel. (Did not leave it running) It's rating is NMMA TC-W3, TC-W II and TC-W. I'm assuming this is the same...Why not synthetic 2-cycle oil. I use 2-Cycle AmsOil in my saw, weed-whacker etc. And everything runs great; and i use them a lot!
    Leer High Rise Cap
    JD 2210
    1987 Corvette
    Member #4307

Hi,

Is this OK to do with the LMM and DPF?

I was under the impression that it would speed up the clogging of the filter medium, so I stopped doing it when I got my new truck.

Rich Phillips
    Rich Phillips
    Member #27
    2019 K-2500 Crew Cab Z71
    Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
    In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500, '09 DMAX K-2500

It won't plug the catalytic converter over time?

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    >>>2 cycle oil has some very desirable properties. Fuel stabilization (long term storage, helps keep fuel molecules bound together instead of separating and souring, like gas does), lubrication, and viscosity improvers (helps the fuel flow through very small orifices). >>>

To this point, I mixed 5 gallons of regular unleaded gasoline at a 40:1 with Mercruiser 2 cycle oil in our old family boat. (1967 Glaspar 16' with 65hp Merc outboard - built by Larson of Little Falls, MN) Our weekend plans changed, put the boat away inside in a farm shed...

...seven years went by!!!

To my horror, I discovered that I had failed to even unhook the fuel line and drain the carbs, as had been standard practice since 1967, when the boat was new. Put in a new battery, turned the key. ZOOM. Started and ran on all four cylinders, with a moderate amount of smoking. Added enough fresh fuel and oil mix to top off the tank, and went boating...

2-cycle oil stabilizes gasoline - no doubt about it.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by richp View Post
    Hi,

Is this OK to do with the LMM and DPF?

I was under the impression that it would speed up the clogging of the filter medium, so I stopped doing it when I got my new truck.

Rich Phillips
    As has been mentioned here, 2-cycle oil will add lubricity to the fuel, but...

Through the years, 2-cycle oil has been used with some success as a diesel fuel lubricity additive. After all, this type of oil was engineered to provide lubrication in dilute concentrations and to burn during the combustion process. However, other than a potential to increase emissions, its use doesn’t contribute much to the combustion process. In an older non exhaust-catalyst equipped diesel pickup, 2-cycle oil might contribute to fuel lubricity without much of a downside, but there are better choices. No matter what, don’t use 2-cycle oil in a 2007+ emissions certified and Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) equipped diesel engine.

For a fuel additive to be useful, it must be available at the larger retail outlets and fuel stations. If you buy your choice of commercial diesel fuel additive in a 5 gallon container, a 1:1000 fuel treatment cost could be as low as 2.5 cents per gallon of diesel fuel. This low cost eliminates ATF, motor oil, or 2-cycle oil as a contender when used solely or primarily as a fuel lubricity additive. In addition to a lubricity improver, most commercial diesel fuel treatments contain a cetane improver, which may increase fuel economy enough to offset the cost of treatment. 2-cycle oil won't, by itself, improve fuel economy.

Jim

Where can you buy diesel fuel pump lube additive in 5 gallon containers?
    I just started the motorhome w/big Cummins on the Walmart 2 stroke oil at approx 100 to 1. The engine is waaaaay back there however so I can hear any difference.
    I'm starting with the Burb and Tahoe this week.
    Mark Magee
    98 Burb 2500 LT 4x4 VIN G, 4:10's 180K miles, Amsoil Bypass/full flow filters, Turbo Master, Heath ECU Reflash, Duraterm GP's, New Injectors, Walbro FRC-13 LP, 480LE Rebuilt 2X, Vacuum Pump Delete, K&N Filter, Fluid Damper, DTech remote bumper mount PMD, Kennedy Exhaust, Kennedy Fan Clutch, Robertshaw 192F stats, 2.5" Crossover, CAT gutted, Fumoto Drain, Alcoa Centerline Wheels, Ride Rite Airbags.
    2013 Keyston Fuzion 301 Toyhauler 9,100#s empty
    Velocity XLFG N34XL
    Brady Texas Hill Country

1:100 is probably overkill. I use 16 oz./39 gal (roughly) of 2-cycle oil (1:240). The issue is to replace the slightly lower lubricating quality of USLD over LSD, and it doesn't take much, as diesel fuel has lubricating qualities in itself. In the winter I use anti-gelling additives as well until I get up North, where the fuels are blended for the cold

But 2-cycle oil is the ony thing I'd use other than dedicated products.

Try Blue Ridge Diesel for larger containers.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.

Talking

I have begun to use WW TWC-3 2 cycle oil in my 5500 at sligtly more than 1:275. I also add with that Stanadyne performance at the recommended mix. I did the initial mix in northern Utah for the trip home to St. George and treated 80 gals of diesel. I have noticed that the engine is quieter and I have had an improvement in power also an apparent mileage improvement. I have been averageing 8.3 mpg and on this trip mileage checked at 9.4. This summer with no additives used best mileage was 9.9 on the flats of Nebraska and worst was 7.2 from Denver to Richfield Ut. I also run the Edge on level 3 which may contribute to the mileage help as the big MH will stay in OD rather then shift down. I will be checking it much closer this next Jan on a trip to Quartsite AZ as the terrain will be more conducive to a good mileage check. 9.4 may have been a fluke but I hope not. The trip from above SLC to St. George isn't exactly a flat run and with the little red P/U bringing up the rear my GW has been just over 26K.
    Denny
    2018 GMC Denali HD 2500 L5P.

I'm not a chemist but my take is this:

2 cycle oil is better than nothing, but as I understand a true lubricity additive has chemical properties/qualities that cause it to attract and bond to the metal parts that need to be lubricated.

I run FPPF Total Power in all of my fuel without fail and have been doing so for years. Wouldn't have it any other way.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

I've been mixing my own brew for the 87, though I don't run it to often. I've been mixing 11 oz of Power Service, 8 oz of 2 cycle and add it to a full tank (20 gallons of ULSD). Passed the snap-throttle emissions test with its 22 yr old injectors and appears to run a little quieter than the day I picked it up.
    2012 Chevy 2500HD ECSB, 6.0L gas, auto, 4x4, LT
    2003 F450, 7.3L PSD, 6 spd stick, 2wd, dump truck
    1983 GMC K2500 pickup - working on a Cummins 5.9L swap
    1987 GMC K3500 Dump, 6.2L diesel, TH400 auto - project plow truck