Thread: Military 6.5 information needed

Default Military 6.5 information needed

So I have a buddy that just acquired (10) Complete Military 6.5 engines. (5) Center mount Turbo and (5) Non Turbo. He told me that all are under 10k miles. Run time unknown. Asking $1k each but will package a better deal. I'm not sure if any are Optimizers or not. I'll need to read block codes.

He's asked me to invest and the plan would be for me to resell. He also lives 6 hours away from me. I am planning to visit him with my trailer, but only staying long enough to buy or not, lunch, then leave for home. He said these are 90's to a 2000 he thinks. That's all the info I have and can get until I arrive on site.

So here's my questions:
    - Are the earlier military 6.5's the same as the non military?
    -What should I look for?
    -Are the heads, and pumps different on these engines?

I'm planning the trip to leave in about a week.

I wont have any time to post and respond as I believe I will only be on site for a few hours at most. I will need to make decisions quite quickly and load and go or not.

I need as much info as possible to hopefully make good decisions.

All thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

The center mount turbo engines have different heads than the pickup turbo engines. The bolt holes in the heads for the intake manifold go in vertically on the HMMWV engines versus perpendicular to the face on the pickup engines. The intake manifold is significantly different as well. The blocks are drilled at the rear of the vee for oil passages and turbo mounting.

These can be used in trucks by swapping heads, intake manifolds, and plugging the oil passages for the turbo. I think the front oil passage for the side mount turbo has a plug in it on the military center mount engines. Check that.

I've not dealt with the NA military engines to know if they're different.

On edit:

If they are 2000 or older, they won't be Optimizers. GM was still making them at that time. I have two 2000 castings (had a third, but it cracked in the main webs) which are GM blocks. GEP came out with the Optimizer after they took over production.
    Last edited by ronniejoe; 09-24-2019 at 22:58. Reason: Add info

Gotcha

I guess it's hard to make sense out of buying just the short block for $1k Not sure about selling the parts and the market for that. Sounds like a headache unless I can find an Optimizer in the bunch.

Hmmm...

Personally, I think the asking prices are too high. I wouldn't spend that much for unknown condition 6.5L's. I'm thinking half of that at the most. Military "take out" engines typically means there were removed for a reason.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    Personally, I think the asking prices are too high. I wouldn't spend that much for unknown condition 6.5L's. I'm thinking half of that at the most. Military "take out" engines typically means there were removed for a reason.

Casey
    I'll add to that:
    Despite claims by some sellers, wheeled vehicle engines are NEVER replaced as a matter of maintenance cycles. Quite simply, they run them until they quit, or experience issues indicating inevitable failure. HMMWV's, CUCV's, etc. are not airplanes or turbine powered tanks.

I agree, sight unseen and unknown condition engines, especially military origin, are worth no more than their scrap value. I wouldn't negotiate anything above that.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Wow, thanks y'all. I had a completely different opinion before this post

I have been involved with some of the SO CALLED maintenance takeouts

Came in a cool metal shipping can.

Can made a great patio BBQ/FIRE PIT

Engines ranged from rods broken to froze up solid....cracked main webs.

The entire gamut of "CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE WORST KIND"

What Maverick said.

Very low miles...UH HUH...THE SUCKERS SIT AND IDLE FOR DAYS ON END...
    A bazillion hours on the engine... hardly any miles on the chassis.

The iron I was involved with we bought for $250 each and that included the cool little shipping can.

Out of several complete engines...NONE WERE USABLE...
    Last edited by Robyn; 09-26-2019 at 17:19.
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY