TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > 2001-2019 Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Welcome to the Internet's first Duramax 6600 diesel discussion forum for the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, LGH & L5P RPO code engines. Tips on performance, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 04-29-2019, 07:40 AM

Unhappy Yet another injector question...

I have a 2002 LB7, with 143,000 miles. I replaced the injectors the first time at 80,000 (Warranty replacement) and am assuming GM used rebuilt injectors. Now after another 50k I'm getting black smoke at the tailpipe at idle. No increase in oil level, or fuel smell in oil.

It's important to note that I have a Kennedy MegaFilter and have been using a mix of FPPF and Cetane booster since the truck was new. I'm puzzled WHY I need injectors again, as I thought particulates in the fuel was the culprit...

Anyway, here are my questions:
1.) I was told I could buy some time before injector replacement by using additional additives. The recommendation was to use Hot Shot Diesel Extreme. Any better ideas, or do additives at this point do nothing?

2.) I'd like to do the injector replacement myself, but need info on special tools for injector and cup removal and whether it's necessary to remove injector cups, or not...

3.) I figured I'd buy injectors from Kennedy Diesel, but are the tools available there as well as all the extra parts (lines, o-rings, gaskets, etc?)

Appreciate any help you can provide...
Old 04-29-2019, 09:14 AM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

There is not a lot of need for special tools to do these. 5mm hex driver bits for the rocker cover screws and things like that. We don't use any injector pullers so as long as the cups stay in things go pretty smoothly.

I have been running SAC type nozzles on my LB7 for probably 10 years now. In recent years they have been introduced for the street market as a cure for the blue smoke at idle. These were 45% over so I did custom programming to tame them down. Coming very shortly will be a SAC nozzle with stock delivery flow. They should not need any programming, but I do suspect that they will benefit from a good tune even more than the std VCO nozzle.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

Thanks John. I'm actually running an EDGE HOT tune that I got from you. Will that work with the SAC nozzles or do I also need a reprogram?

Of course, all of this adds lots of expense, so back to my question about buying some time by using additives to restore some function to the injectors. Any chance this will help? I did the Injector Balance Test and found Injector #7 with a value of -6.8 to -7.0. All other injectors were within -2.5 to +2.5.

Thanks again for your help...
Old 04-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

As soon as I poo-poo the Hail Mary approach of dumping in a mega dose of some wiz bang miracle cure someone reports complete success That said, the VCO style nozzle is subject to needle steer and the blue smoke has been documented many times over as a 40-50k repeat with the late production injectors.

SAC 00 should be pure stock delivery so no absolute need for tuning, but I do have some tweaks that tend to improve operation. At that point I would move on from the Edge.
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 05-21-2019, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetman7 View Post
I have a 2002 LB7, with 143,000 miles.

Anyway, here are my questions:
1.) I was told I could buy some time before injector replacement by using additional additives. The recommendation was to use Hot Shot Diesel Extreme. Any better ideas, or do additives at this point do nothing?

2.) I'd like to do the injector replacement myself, but need info on special tools for injector and cup removal and whether it's necessary to remove injector cups, or not...

Appreciate any help you can provide...
John covered your other questions well enough, so I clipped your original post so I could spend a little time with the above two questions...

We've been doing this diesel thing for a long time, and the question concerning the benefits of fuel treatment has been hashed and re-hashed many-many times. Here's what I think... Personally, I believe fuel treatment is worthwhile IF the treatment includes a cetane improver in the list of ingredients. Large fleet tests have proven that fuel economy is increased enough to pay for the cost of treatment. What's not easily proven is whether a treatment extends the life of fuel injection components... There's just no way to know for absolute sure - no positive proof either way. Can a fuel treatment clean parts of the fuel system, removing varnish or other stuff that can negatively affect injector performance? Maybe, but proof that shows it extends injector life is really hard to come by. A couple of anecdotal reports...

Industrial Injection dot com has been offering "screw-in" LB7 injector cups for some time now. I wrote about screw-in cups as a "I wish this existed" product many years ago. Now it's a reality. They're not cheap, but it would remove the angst over whether that excess pressure in the cooling system is due to a cup seal leak or a head gasket leak. You'd be surprised/horrified to read as many reports as I have from everyday LB7 owners about over-pressurized cooling systems in the days/weeks/months following an injector replacement in these LB7s - too many to be coincidence.

I've spoken to many long time Duramax mechanics through the years, both GM certified and independent shop mechanics about this very issue (cup seal leaks when/after changing injectors). About a third of them reseal every cup that had its injector removed. The rest don't reseal any of them unless they "see" the cup move when removing the injector.

I'm hoping to do a head gasket and Industrial Injection cup install later this summer. I want the engine to be as trustworthy as it was when bought new. Everything else in the truck is like-new...

My thoughts...

Jim