Thread: 2 Cycle oil in fuel

Default 2 Cycle oil in fuel

Anyone else run 2 Cycle oil in their diesel? I have been mixing in 16oz at each fill up. The engine runs quieter and is more responsive. The oil more than makes up for the lack of lubricity in ULSD.
    2007 Silverado Classic 2500HD, EC, SB, 4x4 LBZ, Allison 1000 6 speed, Banks 3" Intercooler Tube, BD LH Exhaust Manifold, Diamod Eye Downpipe, MBRP 4" Cat Delete Pipe, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust, GoodYear 265/75R 16E, Eagle Alloy 16"x8" wheels, Autometer EGT/Boost gauges, 50 gal in bed aux fuel tank.

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Arrow

I've been using it since the ULSD began in California. I don't really notice any change in the way it runs, unless I don't use it. Without, the engine is more noisy, and the cold idle isn't as smooth. I can tell right away during a cold start when I forgot to pour it in. I use 8 oz. per fill (about 20 gallons), of TWC-3 grade oil (primarily for outboard motors). TWC (Two cycle Water Cooled) oil is designed to be used in water cooled engines (more stable, lower temps), unlike the oil you'd use in smaller air cooled engines (chain saw, weed wacker, etc). It's supposed to leave less deposits in a water cooled engine, while the non-TWC is designed for higher temps and burns off these properties.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I use it alternated with Stanadyne additive. I notice no difference with either, but that's because the engine is 20' away.

In any event, 2 cycle oil is far preferable to ATF and some of the other things people add, since it's formulated to be burned.
    '94 Barth 28' Breakaway M/H ("StaRV II") diesel pusher: Spartan chassis, aluminum birdcage construction. Peninsular/AMG 6.5L TD (230HP), 18:1, Phazer, non-wastgated turbo, hi-pop injectors, 4L80E (Sun Coast TC & rebuild, M-H Pan), Dana 80 (M-H Cover), Fluidampr, EGT, trans temp, boost gage. Honda EV-4010 gaso genset, furnace, roof air, stove, microwave/convection, 2-dr. 3-way reefer. KVH R5SL Satellite. Cruises 2, sleeps 4, carries 6, and parties 8 (parties 12 - tested).

Stand-ins are an '02 Cadillac Escalade AWD 6.0L and an '06 Toyota Sienna Limited.