Thread: SES light on and no codes

Default SES light on and no codes

Ok first problem with this truck for me. 2006 K3500 D/A 56k miles. Got an SES light, (no limp mode) just before getting home from a two week trip with fifth wheel.

Checked for codes and there are none. Checked under hood for low levels on fluids, loose wires, anything obvious and turned up nothing. Oil change is 75% and fuel filter is fresh 12/17/15.

Other than a better scanner, what will set SES light and not leave a code?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

If it's a tranny or body code, your scanner may not be able to see it. Tranny codes will usually set a P0700, which is the DTC that triggers the MIL/SES lamp when the tranny has a complaint. Nearly any basic reader should be able to read the P0700 (but not the issue-specific DTC), so your problem isn't likely an issue with the tranny.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by DmaxMaverick View Post
    If it's a tranny or body code, your scanner may not be able to see it. Tranny codes will usually set a P0700, which is the DTC that triggers the MIL/SES lamp when the tranny has a complaint. Nearly any basic reader should be able to read the P0700 (but not the issue-specific DTC), so your problem isn't likely an issue with the tranny.
    Thank you for that. Allison's aren't cheep.

Is there a pedal KOKO procedure on these to clear codes?
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Nope. No KOKO. That went by the wayside in 1995.

You can clear them, and reset the PCM to default:
    Disconnect BOTH batt+ cables and ground one (discharges static and residual power). Wait at least 30 minutes (longer, such as overnight, is OK). UNGROUND BOTH batt+ cables and reconnect them. Wait about 2 minutes before KO or starting. If it doesn't work, repeat with a longer ground period. Most of them reset in 15-20 minutes, but some take a little longer. I don't know of one that's taken longer than 30 minutes, but I haven't done them all. Overnight never failed, though. That's also a good time to service, de-sulfate and trickle up the batteries, while disconnected (unless they're relatively new, of course).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Well today I had to go help my brother move so I filled the tank. And Pooof! SES is gone. Don't know if it was filing her up or key cycles that did it but SES is gone.

Now it will bug the shi!! out of me not knowing what caused it. You know Murphy, he will pop his head up at the most inopportune time. . . . . .
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

Arrow

Sometimes, things just happen with no explanation. I have one recurring code that comes and goes, but it's somewhat predictable. I don't recall the DTC, but it's for a fuel temp error, accompanied with an unlisted (for the model year) "U" code, and it only happens during fall and spring, when the overnight temp and startup temp is specific. The fuel code sets the SES, but the "U" code alone doesn't. It's relatively harmless, and I'll do nothing about it. The only issue it causes is, sometimes it will cause the gear ratio program adjustment (for larger tires) to revert. It goes unnoticed until I get up to speed and the TC locks, when the tach doesn't match the speedo where it should. It takes about a minute to reprogram that, so no biggie. The codes disappear at the next startup once up to operating temp, and don't remain in history.

If the SES goes away and causes nothing negative, I'd just move on and not look back. If it returns, maybe have another look. Or not.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A