Thread: Help needed from Sweden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exclamation Help needed from Sweden

Hi there everybody. I bought me a -94 Cheyenne with a 6.5 TD a couple of days ago. The a-hole seller has been smart and removed the lightboulb behind the "service the engine soon" warning. Now I found out that the picup has no less than 7 codes that needs fixing. My problem is that I don’t have a clue to what the codes refer to, and how to fix them. Ok, I can read the list of codes in this post, but I don’t know what it is that needs fixing and how to do it, if you guys know what I mean. Ok, here are the codes, and now I hope for mercy from you dieselpower loving guys on this forum. 17. High resolution circuit fault. 18. Same as 17 I think. 32. EGR circuit fault. 33. EGR control pressure barometric sensor circuit high. 35. Injection pulse width error short duration. 45. EGR vent error 78. Turbocharger wastegate solenoid fault. I have invested some serious money buying this picup, and I’m holding both thumbs and toes that there is possible to save this engine without me fileing for personal bankruptcy. Hope for help. Regards from Michael in cold Sweden.
    Last edited by DmaxMaverick; 11-16-2018 at 15:30. Reason: Corrected formatting

Welcome aboard!

I corrected your original post so the entire text would show. The quotations " you were using were "tilted", which fails to show any text that follows. This happens for a few non (US) standard characters (the quotes, in this case), and even some common characters on occasion. It will happen again if you use the same characters.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Arrow

Now that's out of the way....

Start off by checking the vacuum pump operation. At idle, it should pump smoothly and produce at least 22" hg (a new pump can be as much as 26") at the large line at the pump, and about 15" hg at the wastegate actuator. If either is less, or the vacuum is very uneven on a gage (bouncing needle), the pump is likely due for replacement. You could also have any number of leaks, failed EGR solenoid, and/or failed (or incorrectly plumbed) wastegate solenoid.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I agree, the first place to start is to check the vacuum pump. If you disconnect the vacuum harness at the waste gate solenoid, the black line should run to the turbo and the orange line should run to the pump. As Dmax said, you should see about 22" Hg when you connect your vacuum gage to the black line. If there is no or very little vacuum there, then check it at the back of the pump. It's a little hard to get to, but you should be able disconnect the orange tube from the larger tube that goes down behind the pump to the pump inlet. If no vacuum there, replace the pump. Don't use one of the AutoZone or other aftermarket pumps. They don't last. Use an AC-Delco pump. It's about $100 more expensive, but you won't be changing it again right away.

If there is vacuum at the pump, check the vacuum harness for leaks. If no leaks, check the waste gate solenoid. It may be bad.

Once you get the turbo working, the bad news is that you probably need a new injection pump. We can cover that later.

Default Oh, look at that.

Now I noticed that my post was complete and got a couple of answers to.
    Thank you for that, I will try your suggestions and get back to you asap.

I got a little worried when the injection pump was mentioned, but I will try not to jump ahead of that and do the vaccum check first.

Like Arnold said, I will be back.
    Last edited by FunLight; 11-20-2018 at 05:10. Reason: Same as my last post.

Unhappy One found, six to go.

I cant say that Im jumping of joy, but now I found what you guys suspected.
    The vaccumpump is totally dead, so now the hunt for a new one has started.

I cant say that parts for US cars are imposible to find in Sweden, but I can guarantee that the parts for my chevy in this country, is at least twice as high as prices in the US for the same part, so this wont be without pain.

Do you have any suggestions to what I can do while Im waiting for another vaccumpump ??
    There are 6 additional codes to put out, and I dont like to sit on my hands while Im waiting.

Im also serching for a paper workshop manual for my chevy, preferably complet with the 6.5 L turbo diesel appendix. I have vaccumed ebay and just found one seller of cd manuals for my car, but Id like to have the paper one if possible.
    If you dont like to scroll up for what type of chevy manual Im looking for, its for a 1994 Cheyenne C/K 2500 6,5L Turbo Diesel.

Thanx for your help so far.
    Mike from Sweden
    Last edited by FunLight; 11-24-2018 at 05:05. Reason: Formatting issues