Thread: duramax vibrasion dampner bolt

krh Guest

Default duramax vibrasion dampner bolt

I have a 2005 GMC with the Duramax , I need to change the water pump but I'm getting confused I seen were on the diesel page they list like torqueing the Vibration bolt to like 275 Foot pounds another site a GM service site list 260 foot pounds. yet the GM specs say like 75 Foot pounds plus 105 degrees . the angle of degrees usually describes a torque to yield bolt. so is the vibration Dampner bolt a torque to yield bolt and I need to go buy a new bolt? what about the ARP bolts?

If you have a torque wrench that will measure degrees turned, go with the 74 foot-pounds plus 105 degrees with the bolt you took out. If not, go with ridiculously tight (260 foot-pounds) on a lightly lubricated bolt and drive happy.
    Do you have the tool to lock the flywheel? THAT's the tough part.

krh Guest

well I've got the flywheel lock tool set from lisle a 400 ft lb torque wrench. looking for a good degree adapter. but that really didn't address the question of is the vibration dampner bolt a one time use torque to yield bolt. as most the specs that list a torque to spec then finish to x degrees are like the torque to yield ( stretched ) one time use bolts. so I was wondering if that is the case with the vibration dampner bolt on my 05 GMC Sierra 3500 with the Duramax . and if I need to go buy a new Vibration Dampner bolt. or harmonic balancer since every time I type dampner it gets red underlined along with Duramax .

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by krh View Post
    well I've got the flywheel lock tool set from lisle a 400 ft lb torque wrench. looking for a good degree adapter. but that really didn't address the question of is the vibration dampner bolt a one time use torque to yield bolt. as most the specs that list a torque to spec then finish to x degrees are like the torque to yield ( stretched ) one time use bolts. so I was wondering if that is the case with the vibration dampner bolt on my 05 GMC Sierra 3500 with the Duramax . and if I need to go buy a new Vibration Dampner bolt. or harmonic balancer since every time I type dampner it gets red underlined along with Duramax .
    I DO NOT recommend re-stretching a TTY bolt. Never use a TTY procedure on a used bolt. It's a step toward failure. The torque + turn is for NEW bolts. I haven't visited this in a while, but haven't replaced any original bolts. Just torqued them. No failures. At the same time, I really don't believe they are TTY bolts. 75 ft/lb then 105° isn't going to stretch a fine thread bolt that size, in any case. If it is, I'd be surprised. Just torque it and move on.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

krh Guest

Default found the info thanks to merchant-automotive

well thanks to all who replied. but I never trust even re torqueing a torque to yield bolt just like doing heads that way generally leads to failures and thanks to merchant automotive I found out what I thought was correct it is a torque to yield bolt after I ordered a new ARP Bolt ARP 129-2503 and washer ARP 200-8793 well then this alternative bolt which happens to be a stock replace shows in the window alone side of the ARP bolt, and when I clicked it. it stated it was a torque to yield bolt a one time useless bolt once broken free. it will become a nice useless paper weight. its real nice that the OEMs like to charge way more fore one time use bolts so any work you do you have to pay more for the replacements like the head bolt and others. they should just switch to studs all over.
    https://www.merchant-automotive.com/...2001-2016.aspx

Default TTY bolts

I found your message interesting as GM originally never listed the crank balancer bolt torque on the 2005 as an torque, then angle turn or a TTY bolt It was just tighten to 278 ft. lbs. I did a little research and found that only on the 2001 and 2002 LB7 has the procedure remained the same. On 2003 and newer it is as you explained. However, the GM shop manual doesn't list the bolt as a TTY until 2011 model year. They are a one time use after that.
    That said you will never be wrong replacing it for any year.
    Just goes to show when you think you know something, someone asks a question and you find out the game has changed
    2004 LLY SC LB
    ATS exhaust - BD LH Manifold
    Kennedy Diesel Mega Filter & Lift Pump

I've removed and reused the crank balancer bolt twice; the last time I took it off was about 90K miles ago back around 160K when I replaced the water pump. No issues, and I torqued it gootntight like described above (275 ft-lbs).