Thread: no start trouble

Default no start trouble

Hi everybody,

my name is Romuald and I live in France . I bought my dream car (GMC C1500 suburban sierra classic 6.2 diesel 1982 , TH700r4) few months ago ( january 2020) .

It had many different little issues to solve , but nothing difficult.

It has a manual button for glow plugs . i fixed an issue due to a too small relay (15A) , and replaced it with a 120A.

then the glow plugs work correctly.

My new problem since july is this :

- sometimes it starts very strong and correctly
    - But sometimes, when i turn the key ignition to ON (not to activate the starter) , evrey electric part are off (no starter, no Glow plug possible, no interior lights or dashboard lights nor frontend light or signal . nothing....)

I need to let the truck few minuts or few hours , then it will start correctly.

I changed the ignition switch just in case, but didn't fix the problem.

I wondered if it was only if the engine is hot... mostly; but once I had the problem in the morning by a cold start (in july , not so cold....)

If anybody has an idea .

it's driving me nuts .....

thanks
    Last edited by romuald; 09-17-2020 at 11:52.

Hi Romuald
    Welcome

Check your grounds,make sure you have a good ground to the engine,and a good ground to the block.
    Nice truck,i just got a 88 Suburban back that was my mom and dad's years ago.It was an official veihical of the 1988 Winter Olympics.Mine is gas but that will change.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Hi Romuald
    Welcome

Check your grounds,make sure you have a good ground to the engine,and a good ground to the block.
    Nice truck,i just got a 88 Suburban back that was my mom and dad's years ago.It was an official veihical of the 1988 Winter Olympics.Mine is gas but that will change.

thank you, i'll look my ground to the engine , but (sorry for my english , sometimes poor... ) what do you name 'block" ? is it the fuse box ?

her are some pictures 1st when I baught it. second, now. sorry for the size...

thank , i'll look for the ground.

what do you call "ground to the block" (I'm not sur of my technical englis...)

Hi Again
    Block i referred to is the engine block.
    A friend of mine just had starting problems on his GM pickup.
    He changed the ignition switch,starter,and spent a few day working on it and in the end the ground straps from the frame to the engine block were disconected.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon6.2 View Post
    Hi Again
    Block i referred to is the engine block.
    A friend of mine just had starting problems on his GM pickup.
    He changed the ignition switch,starter,and spent a few day working on it and in the end the ground straps from the frame to the engine block were disconected.

ok , I understand. i'll look for it this week-end .

thanks

i'll let you know

Was wondering if you got this fixed I was going to say ignition switch that is bolted to the under side of the steering column