Thread: New 6.5 TD owner

arrowheadracing Guest

Just bought a 95 ck2500 6.5 TD. Was original owner truck with 130,000 miles on it. Excellent shape. Seems to be well maintained. I actually bought the truck from a dealer, who took it on trade. I contacted the original owner to find out it was his wifes truck. My question is, the dealer took it to the detail shop and had it cleaned ( which they did a terrible job ). Now the truck wants to stall and is hard to start back up after it stalls. I ve never owned a diesel , and comparing it to my sport bike ( which I ride almost everyday ) the acceleration doesnt feel right. I know the difference between the sport bike and the diesel power range and torque output. But it just seems like part throttle is as fast if not faster then full throttle.

So here are some questions

1 Any clues on what to look for , for the stalling problem. ( I dont know if the glow plugs have ever been changed )

2 Power output, should I be thrown in the back seat on full throttle ?

3 The volt gauge reads 12 ( I would imagine it should read higher, but not sure about diesels and the two battery's )

4 Upon 3/4 throttle the truck sometimes bucks and sputters. The fuel injector pump was replaced about 35,000 miles ago.

Any help would be apperciated.

Thanks
    Todd

1995 GMC CK2500 4x4 Ext cab long bed 6.5 TD 130,000 miles
    WWW.arrowheadracing.com

Todd,
    You may want to repost your question in the 6.5 turbo forum, you'll probably get better responses. As for the low voltage reading, verify readings at either battery with a known reliable voltage meter, if still low, isolate each battery and load test each, you may have a weak one drawing down the other or just possibly a bad connection at either.These vehicles are notorious for bad grounds, inaccurate guages,and a whole slew of other issues, but when they run right they are most enjoyable. good luck,,see ya in the 6.5 forum....Simzie [img]smile.gif[/img]
    2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab D/A...replaced my 98 Gmc 2500 6.5...Wow what a difference!

jbplock Guest

Todd,

Ditto’s to Simzie suggestions. You can also find some very helpful information in The Diesel Page Members area. 6.5 TD stalling is often caused by a bad PMD - Pump Mounted Driver (also known as an FSD Fuel Solenoid Driver) but there are other common causes as well. Check the following Member’s area links for more info and try the 6.5 Forum as Simzie suggested.

No Start, Stall, DTC 35 or P1216

The 6.2L/6.5L Diesel Troubleshooting Guide

Good Luck with your new truck.