Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Starter support Bracket, is this it?

Arrow

Your problem isn't the OUTLET of the lift pump. If it were, it would be leaking fuel, externally (make a mess), while the lift pump is running. The problem is at, or prior to, the INLET to the lift pump. Pressurizing the tank may help find leaks that may not show up otherwise, but if you have leaks between the lift pump and injection pump, they should show while the lift pump is running. So, if you find leaks between the lift pump and injection pump, fix them, but they are NOT the source of air in your system.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Roger that DMax. I'm worried that something is wrong with the pickup. The fittings went together smoothly. Either way, once I pressurize the system, if I find a leak, I'll have to drop the tank again to find/fix....
    Thanks to the group for letting me 'vent'! (and your help!)
    d

PS. I tried to attach the video (pulling from my computer) like I did the photos earlier in this post. Maybe it was too big?
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Arrow

You can't attach videos like photos. They have to be hosted on a video site, like Youtube, then linked into a post. None of that will cost a penny. If you don't already have a Youtube account, it's simple enough to sign up and upload videos. Once you have a Youtube account and upload a video, the video page will have an external link you can copy/paste into a post.

"Smooth" fittings may be misleading. I get suspicious when too many things go too right. If you are mixing metallic and O-ring fittings, they most often fail. There's usually a reason for one or the other, and they rarely mix. I'd start looking there, and convert one or the other, to the other. Most of the time, it's just easier to install a barb fitting and use soft lines and clamps. They are less durable over the long run, but are almost always an absolute short-term fix. This is not usually a problem for you, knowing what you know, but may present problems down the road for subsequent owners. The upside is, they aren't usually hidden.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

OK, to clarify. The mix/match issue was only for my test at the output of the lift pump.
    When installing the fuel pickup in the tank the fittings all matched and went together smoothly. Still could be an issue, but that will come to light when I pressurize the tank. (I hope)
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Latest update.
    Success, I put 5 more gallons of fuel in it, pumped some more fuel out of the line going into the IP, ran a few starter sessions and Shizam! Started up, ran smooth.
    Fuel gage is reading just above the orange mark with around 9 gallons in the tank. It ain't right, but at least it's running! I'll fill it in a day or two and see how it's running before I decide what to do next. Almost seems like it isn't picking up fuel off the bottom AND the gage isn't near the bottom, but it looked exactly like the old one so... I don't know....
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

fuel tanks have a bowl of sorts that the pickup sets in. Most 5 gal will not fill tank enough to crest the top of said bowl. Rocking can cause fuel to splash into bowl. Bowl is there to prevent starvation when cornering and in gas rigs to cool the fuel pump.
    "The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
    -Patrick Henry

A5150nut
    2006 K3500 D/A
    94 6.5 4x4 5spd Sold

If the fuel pickup was the same shape and depth from the rim that sits in the top of the tank it should be fine.

Personally...

I would drop the tank, remove the pickup and check it all out.

With the rig stationary ... 5 gallons of fuel should be quite sufficient to satisfy the pickup and not allow air to suck in.

Check it now and get it right, lest thee might find ones self in deep do do some cold lonely night along the interstate...with no fuel flow...

Summer in the driveway is far and away better than the edge of the road on a dark night....

Been there done that trick

Good luck
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

If starting with adding 5 gallons doesn't work, but adding another 5 does, something is wrong, still. The sender is not picking up fuel as it should. Adding 2 gallons should get you started, let alone 10! This assuming you are parked relatively level. Any grade involved will certainly change the results. Despite everything else, this is a good thing to know, now, as opposed to Robyn's scenarios. As my old grandpappy (RIP) used to say, keep the top half full, and the bottom half will never let you down.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

As Robyn & DMax know, this tank is relatively flat on the bottom. "Under trunk" type tank, no bowl for the pickup to sit in. Just a couple of gallons should have been enough. The Tahoe was on my lift during the repair and with the way the short frame of the 2 door swoops up at the back, there is a slight tilt in the way it sits on the lift with the front leaving the floor a few inches before the rear. With the way the tank is shaped, it could cause a little fuel shift, but not enough to keep 5 gallons from covering the pickup. Robyn, you are correct, I need to get it back on there, drop the tank and see wassup! Our Lucerne is next on the lift for a new transmission so it'll have to wait a couple of weeks, but I'll have to do it. The aggravating part is that I set the old and new pickups side by side and they looked equivalent. Original equipment TS1012 fuel sock looked like it should sit in the same spot as the old pickup.
    I don't know how it works but is it possible the bypass hose could have a hole in it and it's somehow picking up air? It looked like it was 'tie wrapped' to the main tube and should be picking fuel up very close to the bottom of the tank.
    Anyway, thanks for holding my hand as I went through this process. Removing the tank the next time will be much easier!
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Tie wrap ?????

Get a stainless steel hose clamp on the bypass hose.

A tie wrap is no where near dependable enough..
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Robyn,

"Tie Wrap" term was used as a generic term here for some sort of fastener. I have to be honest, I don't remember exactly what fastener was used. I should have taken a picture of it....

I can't work on this right now as the Lucerne is on the lift and it's transmission is in the back of my truck today. (taking it in to get it remanned) Once this is project is completed, I'll try to refocus on the Tahoe.

I do what to say thanks to those contributing to this tread. Your advice is truly needed and appreciated!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Ahhhh copy that
    (1) 1997 Astro
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    but is it possible the bypass hose could have a hole in it and it's somehow picking up air? It looked like it was 'tie wrapped' to the main tube and should be picking fuel up very close to the bottom of the tank.
    A little trivia... GM designed the fuel-return piping in the tank to minimize aeration of the return fuel, so they had it return closer to the bottom of the tank rather than splash down from the top.

A leak in the fuel-return line from the engine on back would/could make a mess, but a leak wouldn't introduce air into the fuel line that feeds the engine.

I'm in my office now so I can't look at the sending unit I took off....but how does the fuel sock 'bypass' work. Could there be something wrong there that allows air into the system?
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDavy View Post
    I'm in my office now so I can't look at the sending unit I took off....but how does the fuel sock 'bypass' work. Could there be something wrong there that allows air into the system?
    No. The inlet pipe is fixed, just above the level of the bottom of the sock. The sock ONLY screens the fuel prior to inlet, diffusing and reducing the velocity of the inlet fuel. The (sock) "bypass" is merely a spring loaded gate that opens if the fuel demand exceeds the allowance of the screen.

The fuel inlet BYPASS valve (if it has one), is a different relief valve in the suction pipe, about 1/4 way up the fuel level, that opens if the normal fuel inlet becomes nearly completely obstructed. The only consistency I have identified with their application is mostly limited to high reliability vehicles, such as CUCV, ambulance and fire, but some civi's had them.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A

Given DMax's comments, there may be nothing wrong with my setup. With the slight angle my 2 door sit at on my lift and me pumping about a gallon through the system after to clear the air, I may have been sucking air off the bottom. I'm going to drive it for a while and see how it acts.
    Thanks to all for your help!
    Dave
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC