Thread: 95 k3500 is a dog pulling trailer in hot weather,,,

Question 95 k3500 is a dog pulling trailer in hot weather,,,

I have a 95 k3500 dually with new Diamond Eye 4" exhaust, walking J chip in computer. manual boost control, snorkel removed from air cleaner, inlet in air cleaner box opened up, high flow water pump, dual stats, late 6.5 fan, HD fan clutch. I pull a 28 ft Pace American trailer. It pulls ok in cool weather, in hotter weather with the AC going the truck is a dog.

Is it normal for these to drop off so much in power in warmer weather? Is there much I can do to help it?

Tom W
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Arrow

There will be some power loss going from cold climate to hot, all else the same. Usually, moving away from winter fuel offsets the loss. Hotter air not only heats up the engine coolant and compartment, it's less dense (less O2). The turbo can compensate, mostly, for the density, but the higher temps can cause the PCM to defuel. Your chip may not be compensating for this, or it's actually hitting a temperature wall. It's hard to say. Warmer temps also means warmer/thinner fuel, which can become more evident with a worn injection pump. When performance decreases summer to summer, look for something that changed. A dirty/fouled cooling stack is a good place to start.

Optimizing the system, including injection timing (TDCO), can do a lot to maximize performance
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Quote Originally Posted by 94GMC2500 View Post
    snorkel removed from air cleaner, inlet in air cleaner box opened up
    Pulling in all the hot air from underhood is only going to make your issues worse.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

It is still pulling air from the hole in the fender. Also when I said better in cooler weather I meant like 65 to 70 degrees, it falls way off in 80 to 85 degree weather. I ordered one of those electric fans that goes behind the grille that I read the towing package had. Maybe that might help a little.
    1995 K3500 Silverado extended cab dually auto trans. Diamond Eye exhaust, KOJO chip, manual boost control, HD cooling, PMD behind bumper, modified fan clutch.

Ok, I've seen people open up the airbox to underhood or put a K&N-style filter on the input side of the turbo and thought you had done something like that.

80 to 85 degree weather really shouldn't be enough to significantly affect performance. Have you cleaned out the front of your radiator recently? I know I've been amazed at times at how much collects down there - blocking airflow. DMax mentioned this - "A dirty/fouled cooling stack is a good place to start."

Are you seeing higher coolant and oil temps when you're having issues? That would tend to point to a cooling issue.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Its clean, I just had the condenser out to flush it and replace the orifice tube to fix the ac. it seems like when I use the ac the water temp and trans temp go up.

If I turn on the ac at idle the I can hear the engine working to turn the compressor. High side pressure is about 210 in high 80s outside temp.

I have been thinking of getting one of those air to air intercoolers and mount it under the bumper at a angle to some what protect it.