Couple of weeks ago, I decided to change the filter on the Kodiak (Seneca). The old one didn't even have a proper coat of oil and dust on it and was obviously not original, even though there's only 20K on the odometer. Same filter that was on it (WIX plastic) when I bought the unit two years ago, this coming early Dec., with just 9K on it.

Got a new Baldwin out and, having noticed that the filter is over in front of the driver, and looking like it would be a lead-pipe-cinch, in comparison to what I was used to on my Sierra, I was actually looking forward to the job. WRONG!
Took the two clips off the DS plastic mud-guard and there she sat, looking easy, right in front of my eyes. Got in behind the bumper and leaned in and started in on the water sensor line. Could hardly find it! Behind, and inside the filter, under the firewall, and directly underneath another big wire harness, and the connector only had less than 2" of wire behind it. Couldn't get near the clip that locks the connector.

Knowing that the filter has quick-gain threads, I took a chance and decided to unscrew it, hoping the wires wouldn't bind, or break. Couldn't get two hands on it, so I went for a strap wrench. No go! A 3/16 thick strap won't clear the LH head. Went and got out a steel strap filter wrench, and, since the plastic WIX is tapered, I got the filter off. Wires were OK.

Wanting never to deal with that snap connector, again, I got some wires,some shrink tubing and soldering gun. I lengthened that sucker about two feet and robbed another 2 wire connector off an old Yukon. Put the new- old connector about half-way of the new extension, and hung the wire from the firewall. Next filter change gonna be a whole lot easier.

Home free? Not nearly. Filled the new filter, per instructions and spilled 2 thirds of it before I gave up and decided I couldn't start that thing back on, without moving the transmission filler/stick tube. Two bolts and one wire clip and you can, indeed, swing that thing out of the way. Still need to pull the dip-stick out, to give you more room for your hands. Still, thought I'd never get that thing started on the threads. Went back over everything, to make sure I'd removed the old rubber seal from the stub pipe, up in the filter head. It wasn't up there. Just took maximum grip and determination to get the thing started. Couldn't turn it up tight by hand though. So, I went back to the steel strap. The Baldwin is bigger and non-tapered, and the wrench interfered with that big ole wire harness between the head and filter! Two more tries with different steel straps, before I was able to get one on the reduced bottom of the steel filter. Then ------ the bottom of the steel strap had gone a little higher (tilted) than the side near me, and was hooked above the flange (I think) of the head.??? Close to another half-hour of working with the tip of a small, long screwdriver, until, finally, the stupid loop literally fell off!

I don't necessarily think that the next time will compare with this one, but if it does, I'm gonna trade MH's.