Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modded 93 6.5 finally ready to Install !

My '93 and all others I've seen from that time frame have 4 core units. A 2 core unit won't be enough to keep a stock 6.2 cool much less a higher HP motor. Ideally I would have a 5 core unit made as big as possible to have maximum cooling ability.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

Default Best OEM or Aftermarket Rad for us ??

Thanks for confirming that. Ordering an OEM rad tomorrow. I will be asking for the 1993 unless anyone here has info on a better year to ask for? Do you think they upgraded the rad in 97 when the cooling system was improved?

Rob

If you get a later model alluminum radiator you'll have to replace the lower radiator hose and coolant resevior. I don't know that either one will give a cooling advantage.
    white '93 K2500 started it all..
    red '94 K3500 old faithful
    black '93 K3500 daily driver
    '83 G20 conversion van
    '74 C65 truck diesel conversion...

Thanks DD, Ill keep it simple for now and get the stock unit so I can get it up and running this week!

Could you tell me the brand/part numbers you used for your Radiator Cooling Fan Clutch and Blade?

Default 1993 Radiator

Hello,
    My FIL came to me for assistance in locating the correct radiator for his 93 C3500. I was his fifth attempt. Autozone, Pep Boys, O'Reilleys - They have creative part numbers for them and it was easy to confuse a 6.2 for the 6.5L. Also the brass one has no engine cooler installed while the newer aluminum unit does.
    I had him buy the brass unit and the Autozone guy gave him a big discount to not come back.
    His original lasted 19 years.
    As for changing your system to 94 and newer - you have more parts you would need to purchase to make that work. the pressure cap would be mounted on the surge tank, newer updated hoses, etc. A lot of work.
    The best you could do is as Jim B mentioned - a custom built unit that sheds the heat.
    1994 K2500 ext cab. Recently repowered with; Non-cracked 599 block, factory compression, used old DSG girdle for main caps. Factory for what remains. Changed diffs to 3.42. Fuel economy Hwy 22.5 mpg US, in town without lcokup in 2nd/3rd - 18 mpg US.
    1994 K3500 CC LB Silverado. Next project. Built for endurance, power and gearing. Plan on opened up intake and exhaust sytem, best cooling mods, 4.11 gearing 4L80E, followed by Gear Vendors OD. Need to be able to split all gears and have lockup in 2nd/3rd/4th. Tan interior cloth, Bad ass dark blue (coming) aluminum wheels and air ride (coming)