Thread: Chevy 1500 6.2L Fuel Filter Change - Doesn't Start

Default Chevy 1500 6.2L Fuel Filter Change - Doesn't Start

We attempted to change the fuel filter on my friend's 1989 Chevy 1500 2wd truck today. We're totally new to this truck and didn't have a book, but we gave it ago. We found the square filter under the air filter element. When we pulled that off we lost about 1/2 cup of fuel. Then we popped the new filter on and clipped it in and put the filter assembly back, wouldn't start.

We assume that black valve on the top of the filter assembly is a purge valve? When we first opened it up (after the filter change) it let out a bunch of air. I then hooked up a tube to it and put the tube into a jar and had my crank the motor. We let the fuel flow until no more air bubbles came out (ended up with about 2-4 cups of fuel in the jar) and it's still not starting. the battery has gotten pretty low from all the cranking. At one point it sounded like it almost started, but no go.

Can someone tell me what else we need to do, or what the correct procedure is to change the fuel filter? I tried a search and all the write-ups sounded like they are for a different motor.

Thanks!

It sounds like you got all of the air out, but now the batteries aren't providing enough juice to get the engine turning quick enough to start. Try jump starting or recharging the batteries.

Hmm.. I just charged the batteries up and its still not starting. Any other ideas?

Woop.. got it started. I just took some of the fuel that poured out of the purge valve and dumped it into the intake manifold, fired right up.

I'll be reading more up on this site, looks like a lot of good info on here!