Thread: 6.5 starts, exhaust comes out from turbo area then stalls

Default 6.5 starts, exhaust comes out from turbo area then stalls

1997 Gmc 6.5 turbo diesel, little over 98,0000 miles. I replaced lift pump, new injector pump and pmd, moved it to firewall area with kit but is still grounded to pump. I replaced water pump and timing chain. am getting fuel out of screw top fuel filter, out of T handle, I did remove all glow plugs and tested, they are good, was getting mist spray from gp holes. baterries are 3 months old, starter and motor are turning overy plenty. Turn key to on position, let glow plugs cycle then turn over, motor will fire for couple seconds then stall. I get alot of exhaust comming from turbo before it stalls out, cant figure out why it will not stay running. no noticible air leaks/fuel

Quote Originally Posted by thompson View Post
    I replaced ... timing chain
    Did it run before you did this?

What do you mean by " I get alot of exhaust comming from turbo"? does it not have an exhaust system, or are you saying there's a big leak?
    The Constitution needs to be re-read, not re-written!

If you can't handle Dr. Seuss, how will you handle real life?

Current oil burners: MB GLK250 BlueTEC, John Deere X758
    New ride: MB GLS450 - most stately
    Gone but not forgotten: '87 F350 7.3, '93 C2500 6.5, '95 K2500 6.5, '06 K2500HD 6.6, '90 MB 350SDL, Kubota 7510

Has it got a catalytic converter?
    If it does remove the exhaust from it and try again.
    I got a free 99 Suburban that the PO did everything to to try and get it to run longer than a couple of seconds.He spent the better part of a week working on it outdoors before he walked away from it.Not that he was the brightest bulb in the set.
    Sat in my yard for a few years befor i got it for being abandoned.I pulled it in the shop ,returned everything back to stock.It would start and die almost immediately.Up on the hoist and split the exhaust by the converter,fired up and stayed running.
    The converter was plugged soild.I removed it from the exhaust and it runs great.I got about 2-3 gal of black soot from the exhust once it fired without any restrictions.
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews