Thread: Best clutch for 1996 with NV4500

Default Best clutch for 1996 with NV4500

Hi,

I'm working on a 1996 K2500 6.5 TD with an NV4500 manual transmission. The pilot bearing in the crankshaft is shot and messed up the pilot on the input shaft. That in turn wrecked the concentric slave cylinder/throw out bearing assembly. Looking at options for a new clutch and pressure plate and was wondering if anyone has a solid recommendation for the best clutch and pressure plate to use.

This is my uncle's truck. He uses it pretty hard in his farming operation. He ordered it in late 1995 and took delivery sometime in early 1996. He specifically ordered the NV4500 and 3.73:1 rear gear ratio. It has been a good truck, still mostly bone stock. It originally had the dual mass flywheel, but was replaced under factory recall with a solid flywheel.

According to my uncle, he had a new clutch put in it in December, but the mechanic who did it apparently was not very good. I've found all kinds of problems with his work and he obviously didn't check the pilot bearing because it had to be bad at that time. He also didn't resurface the pressure plate.

All of the 6.5s I've worked on have been automatics, so I'm not up on the best clutch to use. Any advice will be appreciated.

First thing would be to get rid of the crappy roller bearing (pilot) that most use these days and use the bronze bearing, it's the same as a small block chevy gas motor...

I really like the Southbend kits... I had a double disc in my other build in a k2500..

When I'm done with the P400 for the dually I will go back to them for it also...

They aren't cheap but it was worth it for that motor...
    1993 Chevy K3500

owner - Twisted Steel Performance

porting, ceramic & powder coating

like us on Facebook

Another vote for Southbend. I replaced mine with one about ten years ago and haven't had any issues since.
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

I have never heard anyone complain about a Southbend. The big HP DMax/Cummins/PSD guys love them. A little lower on the scale is Centerforce. I have always been happy with them and I'm using one with my NV4500 swap. You can get them with organic or dual friction discs, as well as pressure plates with heavier springs. I like them because they keep pedal pressure relatively low and the weights on the springs increase clamping force with RPM.
    1987 Jeep Grand Wagoneer...new 6.5 in process...diamond block, 18:1's, other goodies...