Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What does it honestly take to run a 14.0 with a Duramax?

Manual? Automatic?
    Full weight.
    Assume a 1.9 60' time.

Is it something that can be done on the stock turbo, stock injectors, stock internals?

Propane or Nitrous?
    Tuner of fast "diesel" powered trucks, www.McRatRacing.com

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.
    2004.5 GMC 3500 "Big Blue" 13.1 @ 103 on #2. PPE Tuned, Mike L Suncoast Trans.
    2006 GMC 2500HD "Wendy" 13.9@96 on #2, PPE tuning, Mike L Suncoast trans.

140 ADDITIONAL RWHP....CHIP( edge, TST, quad,tts reflash) WILL DO IF YOUR TRANNY WILL HOLD IT........ONE 6 SPEED HERE WITH A 14.1.........A COUPLE OF 13'S WITH AUTOMATICS.........USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION..........welcome to the show dave
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

BMDMAX Guest

Cool

McRat,

I ran a 14.1 on the stock tranny with a Hot Juice and 40 HP Predator tune stacked. I also have the K&N intake and 4 inch exhaust. The launch and traction were the biggest problems. That was with a 2.168 60 time, so if you could pull a 1.9 60 I think you would be there.

See the details here:
    http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-b...c;f=3;t=006119

Kennedy Guest

The stock Allison will not handle that kind of power... for long...

A reg cab 2wd with slicks IF you can hook up, would be your best bet.

I'm pretty sure I could coax that kind of time out of mine at 7500# plus, but haven't tried yet.

Definitely possible on #2 only with the right setup.

Thanks for the replies!

So with the Auto, some tires (traction), a 4" exhaust, and a hipo tune (chip) should get me close?

Would I be better off with a Manual trans if I expected a daily driver truck to knock off (3-5)14.0's about once a month?

2005 GMC 2500HD "Casper" 11.77 @ 114.5 on #2. 674rwhp, 1380tq. EFILive "McRat" tuning, Mike L Suncoast, PPE Dual CP3's, HighTechTurbo "McRat" charger.

Kennedy Guest

I think repeated bang shifting required to click off such times would take an early toll on the dual mass flywheel assy and clutch.

yup. auto would be alot easier to be consistant with. You may have a faster time here and there with a manual but it is hard to nail the shifts every time. It is very hard to be smooth with the zf.

Yeah, I'm pretty good with a manual, but I can't see a 7000lbs truck liking 2500 rpm launches too often or speedshifting. But then again, I don't really know.

Wheelhop might be another issue with a manual.

I guess I'll order the auto.

Question, isn't Michael Tomac in the 13's with a stock exhaust?
    Might want to get suncoast to do the tranny before it's abused any, I think it's alot cheaper that way.
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

ah64pilot,
    Suncoast to do the tranny? What do you base this on? What do you know about suncoast? What is wrong with keeping everything stock and enjoying the benifits of a long life for your truck?
    The Dog

the allison will not hold above 125 additional rwhp without slipping or going into limp mode.....it has to be beefed up........suncoast and a few others offer this performance improvement dave
    2002 CHEVY 2500HD CC SB D/A 4X4<br />COMP/JUICE 4.61 PREDATOR 1.04 <br />BANKS 4\"EXHAUST<br />SUNCOAST PROLOC TRIPLEDISC TORQUE CONVERTOR & CLUTCH PACK UPGRADE<br />AFE STAGE 2<br />POWERSHOT 2000 PROPANE INJECTION<br />DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET

Dog,

What is wrong with keeping everything stock and enjoying the benifits of a long life for your truck?
    I think the question was asked,
    2003 GMC Sierra D/A 2500HD CC 4x4 Carbon Metallic
    K&N
    285/75R Bridgestone REVO's
    Kennedy 4" Exhaust
    Zaino Polish CB WESTIN STEPS
    MY PICTURES

There is nothing wrong with leaving a truck stock.

But I'm shopping for a diesel so I can tow/commute M-F, then race it occassionally on weekends. Currently, it's easier to go fast in a diesel than a gasser (with the exception of the lightduty 2 passenger Lightning).

Bigdog,
    Nothing, and that is probably the best thing for the majority of people.
    However if you want to run a 14.0 1/4 mile I don't believe it's possible to do it with a stock tranny or at least not very many times that is. I also believe that it would be cheaper to beef up the tranny prior to adding any power to the engine. Since you are going to have to modify the tranny anyway you may as well do it for less, not more money.
    Take me for example, I've slipped mine enough I believe that the only real option open for me is the $4,000 upgrade, eventhough I've only limped it once.
    I've got a lot of experience with the old generation (mechanical) tranny's and with them the installation of a shift kit would often make a weak tranny worse. With them the only way to be sure was to start with all new friction material and unglazed/flat steels. I'll bet the Ally is the same
    2001 C3500 Charcoal Grey, Lotsa Putco stainless stuff, CB with 250 watt amp, TST Competition box, 600 watt inverter

apilot
    I still don,t get the big deal with drag racing your truck for time? Most kids get over this by 19 or 20! Tell me, do you spin the rear tires on your truck to impress your friends? I say stay stock and enjoy!
    The Dog

welcome by the way .......just hangout and read....use the search functions....you will figure it out. Lots of us here are just like hd nate we all have the desire for a bigger and better mouse trap..........to each their own dave

stay stock

No such thing on this board, NOBODY in here is STOCK. NOBODY...

Some might think they are but they put synthetic in the last time they changed the oil....
    2003 GMC Sierra 2500 HD CC Shorty
    Dyno Proven - 800 rwhp on fuel only.
    Trans to hold it and a big ol S400 turbo feeding it.

BMDMAX Guest

I can tell you that my clutches and steels were in pretty good shape. Daily driver with Hot Juice and at least 7 or 8,000 miles with the HJ/Predator stack. Joe even asked if I had ever limped the tranny since they were in such good shape.

I have only limped the tranny once. I always started slow with the power addtions and always gave the Allison many days to learn shifting with the extra power. I have ran the truck balls out at the track many times with sometimes ten or more runs a day.

The 14.1 runs were with the stock tranny and high Georgia heat/humidity. (all #2, 7300 plus pounds, 2WD launch also) On a cool day I think I could have broken out of the 14's with no trouble. The truck did not limp and like I said the clutches and steels were pretty damn good.

I always was aggressive with fluid and filter changes and it was holding fine. I got the Suncoast upgrade because I knew I was at the highest level I could go without a stronger tranny. Maybe my stock one was not as sensitive as some others out there, who knows.

I think that would be ok to start with the stock tranny and then upgrade before your warranty goes out if you are really wanting to race a good amount. You can run mid 14's all day long on the stock tranny with the Hot Juice and not cook anything.

If you want to get into the 13's right out of the gate then get the tranny.

Bigdog
    I'm 22 so does that mean its ok that I want a mid 14 sec truck or am I now too old for that?

Just because some like to drive fords dont make em wrong. To each his own, do what makes you happy and I will do what makes me happy.

What do they say about a Harley thing again?
    Philip<br />2 69 Velles<br />03 Black 4x4 LS 2500HD reg cab D/A<br />Kennedy 4\"-5\" exhaust<br />UNI Air Filter (VERY NICE PIECE!)