Thread: Duramax swap into 86 dually

Dick Wagner Guest

Exclamation

I have the engine mounted, along with Allison trans, and a new driveshaft. I acquired the engine as a damaged new crate piece-rolled off a forklift (bowling with diesels). I'm needing a dropped center steering link to clear the pan, and I need SERIOUS help in getting it wired and interfaced to the 86 truck. I'm in Los Angeles, CA

Dick Wagner
    16000 Gault St
    Van Nuys, CA 91406
    (818) 888-3333
    (818) 402-8566 -cell
    dick@dickwagner.com

Arrow

At the very least you'll need:

1- Wiring harnesses matching the engine/trans.
    2- Computers & modules matching same.
    3- GM wiring diagram book for same.

You must utilize the matching instrument gauge cluster (it's part of the class-2 serial data communications system).

The various Project updates currently online should help answer many of your questions.

MP

this is a pretty interesting topic. Is it possible to put the nv4500 behind the Duramax? I'm planning a swap of a diesel into my 80 model dually. The duramax might be a choice. Does anyone else have info on such a swap. Is the above truck 2ed or 4wd?

Arrow

The ring gear is different between that used on a 6.5 vs a Duramax, so you'll need to use the Dmax flywheel. Otherwise, I don't know what sort of fit issues there might be.

If you didn't already have a 4500, I'd look for a salvage or take-out ZF trans and Dmax FW components.

Dick mentioned on the phone to me that he needed to trim the frame rails get clearance for the Dmax manifolds and exhaust downpipe. His is a 2WD truck, and he also said he needed to trim the large frame crossmember under the engine.

MP