Thread: Starter

Default Starter

The truck is down again. I should have figured that something was coming soon as it had been running so nicely for the last while.
    My starter went this morning. In four starts it went from firing up right away to just spinning wildly. Some contact is being made between the teeth, but nothing to start the beast. I had to rollstart it.
    Anyways, due to a recent trip to the vet, I am a little short on the money to purchase a brand new start. A friend of mine said he had heard that the 6.2 starters would swap in. Will this work? If so, there is a really nice '91 6.2 sitting in the wrecking yard.
    1993 HD2500- 4X4, Nv4500, rc/lb, Lots of mods, killed her. Awaiting her TT rebuild!

2002 Camaro L36/M49- Killed In Action

1995 HD2500 - 4X4, NV4500 rc/lb, GL4, Turbo, exhaust

1994 HD2500- 4X4, NV4500, ec/lb

Hi
    The two engins share the same starters,That being said there are two different starters for these engins.
    One is a gear reduction starter,which should be whats on your truck,and should be on the 91 6.2,
    the other is a bigger version of the regular starter used in the older GM gasser trucks.
    If for some reasone the 91 is the older style non gear reduction make sure you get the braket that holds up the front of the starter,and the bolts.
    Best if you buy some new bolts from GM of the proper length and torque to spec and retorque every oilchange
    Parts to fix your starter are pretty cheep if you know anything about the insides of starters
    Good Luck Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

You must have the front strap, or, break the block where the long bolt attaches to block...

trust me...
    1996 K3500 EX-CAB 108K MILES
    MODS:UnderDASH PMD,38G Aux Tank
    ISSOPRO BOOST&EGT,Fuel Pres Gage
    CSI Oil & Trns Temp Gages
    BD DOWNPIPE, Rem Oil Filter
    Dual inline LP/Filter SOLD AT 130K MILES, Know GM LESS

Why has no one made an Air Starter for the 6.2l and 6.5l with all the Prepers out there wanting to be off grid and self sufficient, you would think this would be a money maker.