Thread: pitman arm worn out early?

mark45678 Guest

Exclamation

I have 63K on my 01 now, I have done every lube job on the truck since its birth.... I was hearing a clunking sound in the front end for the the last week or two and wanted to find out what it was. tierods and ball joints are all good BUT the pitman arm and idler arm are worn to the point of needing replacement! I think the idler arm will be ok for the winter BUT NO WAY on the pitman arm. I take good care of my truck when it comes to lube and oil changes ever 5k and 3 time in the first 2000 mile this should not have happend! any one else seeing this problem with your trucks?

My '01 needed the Pitman arm, Idler arm, and the inner tie rods replaced around 32,000 miles.

Alignment tech said that 30-40,000 miles is the average life expectancy for the OEM parts. Lots of gravel and poor blacktop highways tears up the parts in our neck of the woods.
    2003 Chevy 2500HD LT EC/SB D/A <br />Dark Gray, loaded..<br />Kennedy 4\" Exhaust, Headlight Harness, Access, Air Lift, Luverne, <br />Hot Juice, Mega Filter, more....<a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/somndmax\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a><br /><a href=\"mailto:somndmax@yahoo.com\">somndmax@yahoo. com</a>

xwing Guest

Does anybody make some stronger/aftermarket tie rod setups for our trucks?? With all the suspension/performance people out there, and this being a clear problem (I just changed tires at 45,000 miles and tie rods need changing before it can get an alignment)...maybe some company or people can make/source tie rod setup like twice as strong as stock!?!

Addendum: See "Replacement Tierods" Thread, a company may make stronger ones soon...

I have an '02 4WD CC with 38K miles, and the pitman arm and idler arm are worn. I have been advised that MOOG makes these parts and they tend to be much stronger than OEM replacements. Anyone disagree or know more about this?

Everyone of you guys should try and get them warrentied. regardless of what milage you have. Then GM will be aware of the problem, plus they just might fix one or 2 of them. It cost very little to complain er, let them know about it..Just a idea.
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

Great White North WI. U.S.A.-LA In the WINTER(Lower Alabama)

Angry

Just changed my idler arm this am. have the pitman arm in the box(tommorrows project).
    dealer wanted $613.oo to change them out...
    74000 miles !!!
    Chevy 2001 HD2500 C/C Allison/Duramax 4WD Isspro Pyrometer & Boost guages Cooper Discover White letter 285-16AT,S Eclipse 55430 CD & 8 band 21000 Equlizer & 1500 Watt MTX-Thunder 81000D Amp and two 12 inch 1800 Series MTX woofers under the rear seat with custom boxes. Manix Stainless-Steel Brush Guard<br />Munroe S-Steel Side Bars<br />Toneau cover/Custom Flame Graphics And LIKE A ROCK on both door panels Dual Hadley s/steel Air Horns on the cab roof!! /Ham radio antennas everywere !!!HOT-JUICE & Straight pipe!!!!<br />Diamond plate 50 gallon fuel & tool box in the bed.Custom 5th wheel diamond plate box in the rear.<br />Check it out if ya wana..<br />http://community.webshots.com/album/46504759nPLxIr

My alignment tech says the amount of effort required to move the wheels side to side is really high. He is a pretty big boy and I don't think he would mention it if it was'nt unusual. I asked if he disconnected the steering dampener while aligning and he said no. To the folks who are upgrading to aftermarket, please let us know what you're replacing and give results. thanx
    2002 Chevy 2500HD LS D/A CC SB 4X4 Summit White Med. Gray Leather, Stretch Tailgate Extender, Kodiak Sidewinder Retracting Steps, PowerGate tailgate lock, Line-X under rail, Lucerix X-Mount Mirrors, American Racing Pythons 16X8 Chrome, Michlein LTx 285 75R 16\'s, Rancho 4.5", Fumoto, Valentine 1

who is making a aftermarket steering damper for the Duramax? I think that might be a very good addition.

[ 11-20-2003, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: Paintdude ]
    2002 GMC...Dmax in Black of course..X-cab 4 by 4..<br />Goodmark Cowl Inducton Hood<br />Lund Screen front<br />Stainless nerf Bars<br />aux tank<br />Jardine 4\" Exhaust<br />and some more stuff

Kennedy Guest

Seems like Moog is a leader in beefing things up in the aftermarket.

My '96 has 140k on it, I grease it every second or 3rd oil change, and have owned it since 75 clicks. Still tight OEM front end. My '02 is loose as a goose at 50k...

mark45678 Guest

My 93 C-2500 6.5td was the best truck I have ever owned the 98 was a good truck but the electronic fuel pump was junk in them..... the 01 is a great truck but whats with the light duty sized front end parts?.... like JK my 93 had 180 on it it was tight !