Thread: New to Forum: How to tell type of Engine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to Forum: How to tell type of Engine

Greetings!

I have been reading several posts, and I guess I need to know how to tell what I have.

Info:
    duramax 6600. 2002. how do I tell if it is a LB7, LLY etc...

Thanks,
    Brad

Arrow

2002 will be an LB7. For any of them, you can tell by the 8th digit of the VIN. Yours is a 1.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Default How to tell type of Engine

Thanks much....

Brad

Default Lb7, Lly, Lbz, Lmm

The 2001-2004.5 model year Duramax 6600 is an LB7, and the vehicle will have a number 1 (one) as the eighth digit of the VIN. Injectors and injector fuel return lines are beneath the valve covers.

The 2004.5- 2006.5 model year Duramax 6600 is an LLY, and the vehicle will have a number 2 (number two) as the eighth digit of the VIN. Injectors and injector fuel return lines are outside the valve covers.

The 2006.5-2007 model year Duramax 6600 is an LBZ, and the vehicle will have a letter D as the eighth digit of the VIN. The 2006 model year LLY engines are said to be the same as the LBZ, except for power/torque rating, ECM & programming and emissions certification.

The 2007.5 - 2010 model year Duramax 6600 is an LMM, and the vehicle will have a number 6 (six) as the eighth digit of the VIN. This engine runs with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter, and requires ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel.

The 2011-2016 model year Duramax 6600 is an LML, and the vehicle will have a number 8 (eight) as the eighth digit of the VIN. LGH (late in this year range as the eighth digit of the VIN), and the vehicle will have a letter L as the eighth digit of the VIN. This engine runs with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter, and requires both ULSD fuel and Urea.

The 2017 model year Duramax 6600 is an L5P, and the vehicle will have a letter Y (eight) as the eighth digit of the VIN. This engine runs with a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter, and requires both ULSD fuel and Urea.

More info and additional details on all of these engines can be found in one of The Diesel Page's content areas (i.e. see the Duramax 6600 Diesel Page to learn more).

Jim
    Last edited by More Power; 08-20-2017 at 08:21.

I have a breakdown on my site under Dmax Performance. It covers the 06 LLY/LBZ debacle also along with VIN samples to show how to decode engine and model year.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!

Quote Originally Posted by More Power View Post
    The 2001-2004.5 model year Duramax 6600 is an LB7, and the vehicle will have a number 1 (one) as the eighth digit of the VIN. Injectors and injector fuel return lines are beneath the valve covers.

The 2004.5- 2006.5 model year Duramax 6600 is an LLY, and the vehicle will have a number 2 (number two) as the eighth digit of the VIN. Injectors and injector fuel return lines are outside the valve covers.

The 2006.5-2007 model year Duramax 6600 is an LBZ, and the vehicle will have a letter D as the eighth digit of the VIN. The LBZ virtually identical to the earlier LLY, and in-fact, the latest LLY engines are said to be the same as the LBZ, except for power/torque rating, ECM & programming and emissions certification.

The 2007.5 model year Duramax 6600 is an LMM, and the vehicle will have a number 6 (six) as the eighth digit of the VIN. This engine runs with the newest emissions system, which includes a new Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter, and requires ULSD (Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel) fuel.

More info and additional details on all of these engines can be found in one of The Diesel Page's content areas (i.e. see the Duramax 6600 Diesel Page to learn more).

Jim
    How about the VIN digit for gear ratio? I'm looking into buying a 2006 Duramax LBZ 51,000 miles (would be my 1st desiel if I get it.) Anything I should know MPG, common problems, etc. I'm going to look at it tomorrow afternoon. I will use it to haul a travel trailer 5 or 6 times a year (Approx 7,000 lbs. now and maybe 10,000 lbs. I maybe in the market for a larger camper) Most of my driving will be around town, I drive about 7,000 miles a year avg. Looking for any advise I can get prior to purchase. Thanks in advance.
    P.S. Vin# 1GTHK23D86F147471 What can you tell me?

All of the 2001-2008 2500HD/3500 series Duramax diesel equipped pickup trucks got 3.73 gears. There is no other option. That said, the differential gear ratio is not found in the VIN, but in the RPO (Regular Production Option) code list in your glove box. There, you'll find a GT4 differential code, which is decoded as 3.73 (as well as lots of other 3-digit RPO codes).

If buying from a dealer, have them provide a warranty history for the truck. This'll let you know whether this truck has been a problem for its previous owner.

Good luck,

Jim

Go to your dealership or any GM/Chev dealership, give them your serial number and get a build sheet.
    [FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][SIZE=4]2007 2500HD SB CC[/SIZE]
    76,000 km's
    AFE Stage II CAI
    4" Turbo back exhaust
    Superchip Flashpaq
    [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][SIZE=3]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]

Question LBZ Clarification?

Is there anything more/less desirable to the LLY equipped '06s than the LBZs? I am looking to update from my '02 LB7 to an '06 or '07. Should I search only for LBZ equipped trucks or is any '06 model approachable? Also, is there a fuel economy poll posted for the LBZ engines? I didn't see one like the one for the LB7s. Very interesting info!

In my opinion, the 06 trucks are the same and retaining the LLY monicker is one of the stupidest things that GM could do. It just creates confusion. The only real difference is the ECM programming and while the HP rating remained at 310HP, the real world showed it more like 340HP or slightly above 50% of the difference between teh true LLY and the LBZ. When properly tuned they all run the same so no loss.
    Kennedy Diesel-owner
    More than just a salesman-I use and test the products that I sell on a daily basis!
    Superflow Lie Detector in house
    2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
    2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
    2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
    2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
    2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!