Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cummins Powered Chevy

Cool

OK,
    Have the oil pressure sender / gage and fuel pump hooked up. Oil pressure is identical to manual gage. 55-70 PSI

Didn't think I'd need the fuel pump, with the massive low-pressure pump on the Cummins. Wrong.
    Hooked it up, and immediately a different driving truck. Smoother, quieter, and a wee bit more power. Less smoke.

Had to buy a new connecter head. I could see the wires, but the connecter got eat by the rear of the 5.9L Cummins.
    DogDiesel happy. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

Cool

Since I have hooked up the electric fuel pump to trigger off oil pressure, the cummins is tamed.
    Quieter, smoother, less noise.

When I moved everthing powerplant back 2", my shifter boot was not centered over hole. Had to bend shifter neck to align shifter. Also, since I raised the cab, the tranny insulator block would not stay there. Trimmed the hole at rear to accomodate setback shifter tower. Bought a package of rubber inter-link shop floor cushion which matches my floor cover color. Put 3" of rubber sheet insulation under tranny tunnel, filled the hole, and mounted my shift boot over. It is simply amazing the reduced noise level. My XM stereo required 14 volume setting at freeway speed to hear it. Now, 6 is audible. SIX!
    I can carry a conversation in the cab.
    Everything works perfect. No leaks, not even a weep. Oil pressure works perfect, charges perfect....

I have to drop my exhaust from the turbo, and remove 1/4" of metal where the pipe is too close to a cab seam. Vibration on decellaration.

Have AC to charge. Bought a Dodge Cummins AC line set off eBay cheap and will replace my lines, to fit the Nippon Denso AC pump. Will notch and drill mounting holes access in right frame.

Still running 6.5 intercooler with rigged pipes. Will put AC condensor behind radiator support and put in Cummins intercooler. Christmas break project. Probably little change in performance, but cosmetic change.

Have yet to install the rear bed 2" lift, as will have to modify fiver hitch. Want to install a hidden hitch, with drop in fiver and Rhino line bed, and Rhino 50 gallon tank.

As far as front independent suspension being too weak for Cummins. Cannot tell the difference.

Still tinkering, but buggs are one by one going away, and drive-abiltiy is constantly improving.

Empty mileage is now about 19. Which with the 265/16 oversize tires is good mileage.

Like the Mastercard commercial says, I can buy bolt on power for $$$, but to hear the 12V idle ---priceless... [img]smile.gif[/img]

Wayne
    93 Chevy 4x4, 1 T 5sp Diesel Depot 18:1 ceramic & graphite coated pistons, balanced 6.5TDA, Ceramic lamenated head & exhaust manifolds, Marine 300 HP pump, hi-pop injectors, GM8 turbo with custom manual boost controller; intercooled (19 LBS BOOST), big exhaust, hi-output water pump & dual thermostats, programable glow plug controller, 60G glow plugs, Custom boost & pyrometer gages mounted in former flip-out ash tray, 50 gallon external fuel tank 900-1500 cruising range, goose, RV and receiver hitches; all-in-all--just a little modified for towing. <br />85 Mercedes 300SD <br />81 VW DIESEL Pickup - my sweet & immaculate high MPG daily driver <br />66 Bronco (itchin to put a Mercedes 5 cyl into)<br />59 Dexta with 3 banger Perkins Diesel<br />81 Ford 4X4 Compact Diesel tractor<br />I\'ve driven only diesels since 1979-I think I am a convert. <br />DP # 1146

hey dogdiesel
    is that cummins a 12 valve or a 24 valve. If it is a 24 valve and if you want more power out of it put the biggest fuel injectors you can put into it while still using the same fuel lines you will be putting out about 400HP at the rear wheels
    1982 Chevy Blazer Silverado<br />6.2l a/t 4x4 31/10.5x15 tires<p>95 Camaro FOR SALE email cjanddd@attbi.com If you want info

It is a 12V.

Power is fine. I can pull more on a trailer than I can stop. I use it to tow, therfore have no dreams of running with the Mustangs and Corvettes.

Thanks

CareyWeber Guest

I got to see Wayne's truck over the holidays it's a great swap he did a first class job on it.

Thanks for letting crawl all over your truck Wayne I really enjoyed looking at it.

Carey

MikeC Guest

Question

DogDiesel,

Can you contact me at, mcooper @ medflight dot com? One of our mechanics here at Medflight is preparing to put a Cummins into his 454 Dually Chevy and would like to get pointers from you.

THANKS!!

Mike