Thread: 1983 gas bronco to diesel

Default 1983 gas bronco to diesel

i have a 1983 ford bronco i want to turn in to a diesel. I guess my question is what engine would best fit into an 83 and what steps do i have to do to convert it. i know i have to change more than just the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by hisbbygrl View Post
    i have a 1983 ford bronco i want to turn in to a diesel. I guess my question is what engine would best fit into an 83 and what steps do i have to do to convert it. i know i have to change more than just the engine.
    I guess it depends on what transmission you want to use, I would use a 4bt or a 7.3
    Erik
    1985 M1009 CUCV with D60/14bolt w/ 4:10's and 37's

Coming soon: TCI controlled 4L80, and low compression 6.5

Quote Originally Posted by hisbbygrl View Post
    Ford began offering the International 6.9L non-turbo V-8 diesel in its 1983 F250/350 pickup trucks. So, from a bolt-in perspective, a 6.9L-7.3L International/Navistar would be the simplest.

Guys in Australia have been converting Ford pickups since the 1980s to use the GM 6.2L/6.5L V-8 diesel. I can put you in touch with an AU member who has been doing these conversions for a long long time and might have specific items like motor mounts, etc available.

Of course, the Cummins 4BT and 5.9L are also popular choices. We have a story in the main Conversions forum showing a 5.9L installation in an older Ford pickup.

The following links might help:
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27825
    http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/t...ad.php?t=27821

Jim

the transmission on the bronco is stock. ive been told that by using a 6.9 than adding the turbo, all i would need was the motor mounts and wiring kit because the 6.9 would just about match perfectly to everything. is this true? if so ill have my bronco dieseled no time