This is most likely the strangest construct that I have ever envisioned. Have found a 1978, 26 ft. GMC Motorhome for sale with a blown Olds 403 engine. Been intrigued with these motorhomes since they were introduced some 40 years ago.

The better looking one and I have been planning on some long distance, 6 month per year traveling during our pending retirement and as such have been researching the appropriate RV for that purpose. We do like the GMC for its driving characteristics. Many describe it as a 26 foot hot rod with plumbing.

Having said that, it is after all a 40 year old motorhome with some inherent issues even when it was new. The beefed up Olds Toronado front subframe and drive system being top of the list.

My idea as to replace the entire front subframe with one from a GM 3/4 ton 4X4. Have done some initial measurements and it will work. That will allow me to install, hopefully a Duramax, 6.5 Turbo or maybe a Banks VM Moterie if the bank account allows. Coupled with either an Allison or a 6L80, it should make for a very tractable drive train.

My question is this. Would a good mechanical transfer case have a strong enough front drive to be used exclusively (the motorhome was front wheel drive) with the rear drive either covered over or a modified yoke installed to seal up the rear of the transfer case?

Will also be doing some major mods to the rest (stretch it 4 feet and install a living room slide) and a complete body off restoration, but the drive system is the biggy.

As always, any input, (other than I'm crazy...I already know that) would be appreciated.

Bill