Thread: S-10 Diesel

I've been thinking lately about trying to find a small isuzu diesel to put in place of my 2.8l in my '93 S-10 when it comes time to replace it. I see the S-10 did come with a isuzu diesel at one time, but I don't know how well that worked out. I've never seen one myself. I find nothing on the web relating to this, so I wondered what everyone here thought of the idea. This truck is used to haul telecom cabling, tools, ladders, etc. I have a ARI DCU w/ladder rack. Fully loaded this truck is a dog now with the 2.8l. I thought a 4cyl isuzu would do better but have no experience with them or 4 cyl cummins engines. Actually, any diesel that would fit and bolt up to a BW T-5 trans would be an option.

I'd appreciate anyones thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Mark

I'm thinking a 3 or 4 cylinder industrial diesel with an SAE bellhousing adaptor to a trans. Junk the T5 I doubt it will hold the torque. I had a big block in an '82 S-10 so I know it will handle the weight.
    2003 GMC 2500HD, DMAX/ZF 6 gear, 4X4, CC/SB, Carbon Metallic, <br />pre OEM CAT filter, H2 wheels & tires. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/jelisfc\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

NH2112 Guest

I was talking with a friend about finding a small diesel to put in a CJ (we'd discussed and thrown out using a 6.2L) and he said look for an old reefer trailer's A/C unit. They generally have Isuzu diesels with a pretty good power:weight ratio. Most of the bigger industrial diesels, like 4.0L class Perkins, Cummins, John Deere, etc, will weigh too much IMO. Then there's always a Mercedes diesel, or maybe even a diesel from an old Chevy LUV or Chevette (1.8L Toyota?)

xseabee,

Two comments that might at least help get you pointed in a hopeful direction.
    1. I have traveled extensively to Latin America and it is very common if not even prevalent to see the S10 (maybe known by another name there) with a four cyl diesel. The largest country, and therefore the greatest opportunity to find info if not even parts, is Brasil. Try searching the net for used parts/engines for your application there or perhaps Argentina or Uruguay.
    2. Benny & Jamie of the Diesel Depot in Sandersville, GA (members of TDP) have had several 4 cyl diesels that have been used in other than their original applications. They have a link on TDP or you can call them at (800) 553-8192 for more information.

I've never driven one but have ridden in the ones in Uruguay & Brasil and they are cool!
    <a href=\"mailto:2DAMAX@attglobal.net\">2DAMAX@attglo bal.net</a> <br /><br />03 Silverado 2500HD CC SB 4X4 D/A Extang Roll-Top Low Profile Tonneau, CAT 1R-0749 Filter Pre-OEM, H2\'s/315\'s<br /> <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/dmax_2_da_max\" target=\"_blank\">http://community.webshots.com/user/dmax_2_da_max</a> <br />85 Silverado SWB 6.2L<br />62 Impala 327/365hp

tom.mcinerney Guest

I think the light Isuzu diesels in the Isuzu(and some other{Mitsubishi?}) small p/ups were bulletproof. Don't know how fast. Vee sixes in S-10s are a quick, rugged combo, not too bad on fuel....

Do a search in Google using "S-10 diesel". The first thing to come up was a GM site showing a 2002 crew cab S-10 2.8L turbo diesel. S-10's are made in Brazil but you may find some stay parts up here.
    2003 GMC 2500HD, DMAX/ZF 6 gear, 4X4, CC/SB, Carbon Metallic, <br />pre OEM CAT filter, H2 wheels & tires. <a href=\"http://community.webshots.com/user/jelisfc\" target=\"_blank\">Pics</a>

I could also use an S-10 diesel, but I want it to have common rail fuel injection, a Juice chip, and be an ext cab 4x4. Think we could get 200 HP and 30 mpg out of such a rig? Stock is 130 HP at 3600 and 230 ft lbs at 1800. We'd need about 300 ft lbs at 3600 to get 200 HP.

Blaine
    2002 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500 HD 4x4, Duramax, Allison, Amsoil, Magnaflow 4\" x 20\" muffler, Juice,; Fold-a-Cover, nerf bars, Husky mats, Weather Tech windo vent shades; bed mat, tailgate protector, bulkhead protector, wheel-well protectors; mud flaps, Leveling kit, Frontier front end replacement

afp, I don't see why an S-10 diesel couldn't easily get 30+. My 6.2 2wd with 2.73 gears got an honest 26 mpg highway consistently. I did get one tank, 300 miles at 29 mpg. Diesel VW's get 45-50 with 90 HP. A stock Brazilian diesel S-10 should get at least 30.

morgan Guest

I've been told that BMW makes an inline 6 diesel that is worth looking at. I had a volvo diesel that I was going to replace the engine and several other owners/mechanics told me to look into the BMW diesel engine swap. Might be an option for you too. (I sold the Volvo, and bought a GMC TD truck)

Have you guys seen where GM and Isuze collaborated on the Canyon and the Isuzu DMax? The Isuzu DMax has a 3.0 turbo diesel, but is only avaiable overseas.

Blaine
    2002 Crew Cab Short Bed 2500 HD 4x4, Duramax, Allison, Amsoil, Magnaflow 4\" x 20\" muffler, Juice,; Fold-a-Cover, nerf bars, Husky mats, Weather Tech windo vent shades; bed mat, tailgate protector, bulkhead protector, wheel-well protectors; mud flaps, Leveling kit, Frontier front end replacement

Lightbulb

I've been wondering about an S10 diesel for a long time, since I owned my '93 king cab gasser with a 4.3L V6 in it. I've also wondered if the Oldsmobile 4.3 V6 diesel would fit that truck...but I know they can be difficult to find. I once saw an S10 or S15 with a Mercedes 4cyl diesel in it sell on ebay...the pics were really neat. I have a catalog here that has industrial diesel engines in it, but don't know if any are powerful enough to move a loaded truck. It's www.surpluscenter.com ... I know they have Yanmar, Kubota, and Isuzu engines. I've also seen a kit on ebay to convert a Suzuki Samurai to a VW Diesel 4 banger.
    Look on ebay right now...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2425520429
    there is an engine for an Isuzu Trooper on there.
    Greg

07 Cadillac DTS NHP, 86 Chevy C10 6.2L Silverado SWB Apple Red--sold, 2001 White VW New Beetle GLS TDi 50mpg! 1995 VW GTI VR6--sold and greatly missed!
    "Try not!...Do!...or Do Not!...There is No Try!"--YODA

This Isuzu shares engineering if not the platform of the upcoming Colorado/Canyon S-10 replacement, and is marketed in Thailand as the Dmax. It has a 3.0 DI Turbo engine.

I drive 100 miles a day and I'm interested in a vehicle like this. So, how do we convince GM we need this engine in a mid-sized pickup that we can buy here in North America?

http://www.isuzu.co.jp/world/product/pickup/dmax.html

[ 08-01-2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: WillowCreekStable ]
    2002 Chev 2500HD, D-Max/Alli, X-Cab Short Box, LT, Black/Graphite, Hot Juice from JK, Back Country steps, Michelin LTX. Not sure if its a mid-life crisis or second childhood but it sure is fun.

It looks like the 3.0L has 160 hp and 250 ft lbs of torque. My 3.4L in my Olds minivan only has 205 ft lbs. I'd like that motor in my van.

I don't know. My wife would like a Trailblazer sized vehicle with a turbo diesel. However, Chevy is offereing a 7 pax 4WD trailblazer with the 5.3 engine. That is an awesome gas engine. I'm thinking of a 3.73 rear end and the 5.3 for her. the think would fly, and most likely--based on the results I got with my '01 ext cab Z-71 with the same motor--get 14-15 mpg in town and 21-22 on the freeway. Of course, I'd rather have that same vehicle with a 5.0 liter V-6 Dmax tubro diesel...............

Blaine