TheDieselPage.com Forums  
2018 - TDP's 22nd Anniversary
What's New: | Feature Articles: | Product Reviews: | Member's Area: | Subscribe:
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | Photo Album | Diesel Books, GM Licensed T-shirts

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > The Diesel Page Member Forums > 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

6.5L Turbo Diesel 1992-00 6.5TD - Discussion forum for the 6.5L engine.

Old 03-22-2018, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

Always nice when it is a “simple” fix - the downside is the time it takes to find that “simple” thing!
Diesel Page Member #2423
Old 03-27-2018, 02:38 PM
Enthusiast

Default Amazing Amazon Prime

I had mentioned that I had ordered an ignition switch on Amazon using Amazon prime. That was about an hour before I found the problem with the FSD extension cable. After I returned home I tried to cancel the order. I was informed that it was not possible and that I should either refuse the package or request a return label to return the part for full credit. In our area Amazon prime lets you drop of the return package at designated Kohl's stores for FREE return. A few hours after dropping of the package to Kohl's I received an E-Mail from Amazon stating that my credit card will be reimbursed for the full amount within the next three days. Looks like Amazon Prime is the way of the future.
Old 06-07-2018, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

Default It happened again

Engine shutting down came back again a couple of days ago. The same thing as before. About a mile or two from the house it would just quit. I lifted the hood and played with the FSD extension cable and the glow plugs would go on and it started up after about 5 minutes. I drove the car all morning and no problems. That afternoon I stopped at a store about 8 miles West and it started fine but when I got to the road waiting to turn it quit again. I played with the connector again and nothing worked. I then spliced the Black ( the wire that seemed to be the problem in the past) wire around the plug and still no start. So I called the tow truck. The next morning I went out and tried the key and the plugs came on and it started up. I drove it out of the drive and pulled it back in so as to have it easier to work on. I used a paper clip to check for codes and there was none. An hour or so later when I went out to check to see if I could find the problem it was back to no starting again and the glow plugs would not fire up.
This morning I hunted up the manual and started to trouble shoot the problem. I found that the check engine light stayed on and I could not get the diagnostics to work. I pulled the PCM and disconnected it and the check engine light went out. The manual stated that I had a problem with my PCM or the Prom. I had another PCM that I had pulled from my parts car a while back but I had to find it. After a while I located it and put my current Prom in to the PCM and when I hooked it up everything fired up great. It looks like something in the PCM would break down and when sitting for a while it would work. Thank goodness for my parts car it has saved me many times.
Old 06-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Unless I missed your mention of it.... Have you tried a spare PMD? 1994+ 6.5 owners should have a spare anyway. Like a spare tire, you hope you never need one, but it's there if you do. And, it's a great troubleshooting aid.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:59 AM
Enthusiast

Yes I have tried a spare FSD. I carry one in the glove box. I agree that this is a must to have a spare with you. When I first started with this problem the first thing I did was try another FSD. Until I dug out the shop manual (another must have as far as I am concerned) I was at a loss. Following the trouble shooting procedure was the key to finding my problem. Between this site and the shop manuals I have been able to find and repair every problem that I have had with all of my diesels.