Thread: Injector then cylinder

Default Injector then cylinder

I purchase 03 C4500. It was driving well then it proceeded to smoke and oil pressure dropped. Took the truck in they replaced injectors under warranty but then said cylinder was bad. Its an 03 with 160000 miles and warranty or recalls any ones knows. If not a link to get replacement motor. HELP PLEASE

Sorry to hear of your problem. I separated your question from the thread that you posted it on, and moved it to the Medium Duty forum to get more attention.

Bottom line: Injectors are in warranty, engine is not.

However, GM has been doing some wonderful things for good Duramax customers. You should calmly ask you service manager to help you escalate this manner up his chain of warranty command, as the injector problem most likely caused/contributed to the cylinder problem.

However, this is not common, so be ready for pushback, especially if the engine was run in the smoking, low oil pressure condition for any length of time.

Engine failures shouldn't happen from injector problems. GM may want to help you with the resolution. If they won't warranty it all, I'd negotiate hard for cost on a new engine and a break on installation labor - with a brand new injector/engine warranty to start at 160,000 miles.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Arrow

Welcome to the Forums!

While a failed injector certainly could cause cylinder damage, it is not remotely common. If it is, then the dealer should take care of it. They have acknowledged the injector issue, and should assume liability for collateral damage.

That said, I'd be suspicious.
    What did they say was "wrong" with the cylinder? How did they come to that conclusion? It is easy enough to do a compression test yourself if you have any mechanical ability. Just do it. If for no other reason, for your own peace of mind. It is possible one of the "new" injectors is not so new, or has a problem out of the box. Rare, but wouldn't be the first time. If you have access to a Tech II or Predator programmer, take a look at the balance rates and PWM offsets.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com