Thread: 4500C topkick steering/alignment replace all

Default 4500C topkick steering/alignment replace all

Mornin all

Went into local shop that GMC recomends for front end allignment; as they dont do it.
    Arrive knowing that front pass steer is wearing badly and alignment might fix it.
    Now I don't become angry when someone tells me that the Kingpin, tierods, drag link have alot of play..sort of expected it with 220K on the truck (2007), better have these things fixed here than stranded on the road with tow truck expenses etc.
    Fine, replace
    Both Kingpins, tierods, drag link and one new Cooper tire + allignment
    $3 grand including labor....it hurts yes it does but will be paid off.

Repair man comes in aftr test driven with new parts..says " Drives tight but will break in with some driving"
    Drove to Cameron, La and Back to Houston...spun out on wet road with load, because steering was awkward and didn't return to center easily. Going back to shop. suspect that there has to be torque specs that weren't followed.
    Moral: find out if shop has experience with work to be performed
    Not a rant , just putting the info out for others

My 2004 C4500 was put OOS at a DOT inspection station for drag link endplay. IIRC, it had about 110K on it, at the time.

Never spun that rig around. That must have been a ride!

There wasn't enough more I could carry or tow (legally) with the Kodiak that I can do today (legally) with the K3500HD. Go figure. Obviously it had twice the suspension and brakes.

Never could understand the ulta-conservative GVWR rating of that platform. With some options for taller rearend gears and adjustable factory air ride front and rear, it could have been the ultimate hotshot rig of the road.
    2011 Chevrolet Tahoe 5.3L daily driver
    • Previous owner of two 1994 6.5L K3500s, '01, '02, and '05 6.6L K2500s, '04 C4500, '06 K3500 dually, '06 K3500 SRW, '09 K3500HD SRW, '05 Denali
    • Total GM diesel miles to date : ~950K

Smile fOLLOW UP

The shop (Westside Truck and Trailer, Houston, Tx) said it never should have left the shop in that condition, tech who put it all in had forced one kingpin in. These guys said no worries we will make it all right !
    No charges new king pins, bearings and assorted hardware. Thanks Ray and "Big Boss"
    Paul Green
    TATUZINHO