Thread: 6.2 to turbo motorhome project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 6.2 to turbo motorhome project

Hi everyone new to the forum. I picked up a 85 triple e regency motor home with a 6.2 for super cheap (40,000 kms). I also have a 95 3500 4x4 6.5 turbo truck. I want to covert the motorhome to turbo and 4x4 as i want to do some overlanding type adventures.

I have a dodge ram intercooler and holeset hx35 from a 5.9, ordering the down pipe from pt wiring solutions. i dont believe i will have the a/c air box issues, but has anyone tried this and any recommendations. I was going to go with the banks setup but it is like $3000, does it flow or work much better than the stock 6.5 setup.

i know the 6.2 isn't normally intercooled will it improve performance and economy

Hi brutherb
    Looking forward to pic's of your project. Sounds like you will have a cool RV when done.
    Getting a turbo under the doghouse in a van will be a pain.Some people have remote mounted turbos to deal with lack of space.
    I am assuming it has the van front end on the RV.I would look for a 2000 GM van that may have come stock with a turbo,or the Hummer turbo which mounts in the rear.
    Thomas
    90 Chev 3500 c/c 4x4,6.2na,400 auto,4:10 gears.DSG Timing gears,main girdle, isspro tach, pyro,boost,oil and trany temp.Dual Tstats, High volume peninsular pump,on shelf, Custom turbo and intercooler 85%complete. Change of plans for the dually, it's going to get a Cummins. Both trucks are Blue 90 4x4 crews

Howdy
    I tried to find a pic of what that rig looks like, couldnt. But it sounds like it is a van chasis? If so, it will be difficult to mount a turbo with any type of "normal" setup. The best route is stated above, find/build a hummer or stock van turbo set up, a 6.5 will work just fine. They mounted the turbo in the rear center of the intake valley. These are not hard to find as many small buses and transit vehicles had that setup.
    If you REALLY want to fab things up yourself and use other parts, there was a member a long time ago that did the remote mounted turbo behind the motor down under the floor boards. You will lose allot of exhaust input that spins up the turbo.
    On the subject of intercooling....intercooling in general doesn't give you a big boost in power, but it does allow you to run a little higher boost with a cooler air charge. It is safer for your engine and all turbo engines like a cooler aircharge. The extra plumbing will decrease your boost level. It might be easier to use water injection, check that out.
    Overall, IMHO, make sure you have a complete set of gauges and then start tuning your engine for boost, fuel and egt based on a loaded rig.

Good luck! Hope this helps!!!
    1996 Chvy 3500 CCDWLB 6.5 Heathed, NO vac, marine injctrs, ARB bumper, BIG pipe, 3" lift, bright lights, bypass oil system.
    1986 Chvy 6.2 M1009 blazer RAM AIR, Headers, Custom interior
    2001 Chinook RV, V10 gas
    1974 John Deere 1530 diesel tractor
    1993 John Deere 455 Diesel lawn mower
    1967 GTO, 1989 Honda Transalp
    2009 VW Jetta TDI, flashed and piped, 6speed, fun car!
    1998 6.5 suburban, stock, daughter's
    1993 6.5 3500 CCSWLB GM8, Heathed, big exhaust, gauges, Son's

1984 6.2 ATS turbo 3500, SCDWLB - Son's
    3 kids, 1 wife, 1 dog
    Gunsmith, Tactics Instructor, Fabricator USMC 87-93 Semper Fi!