TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > 2001-2019 Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Welcome to the Internet's first Duramax 6600 diesel discussion forum for the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, LGH & L5P RPO code engines. Tips on performance, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:05 PM
Enthusiast

Default gas in fuel system

a little fyi they will not void the warranty. here is the trick that the dealer uses i know i work for one.

step1 drain the fuel out useing a hose siphon out as much as you can try to get the fuel guage to read E. change the fuel filter add stanidyne diesel conditioner to the fuel tank and add diesel to system 5 gallons. prime the system and then start let it idle for 10 min and then get it to a fueling station and fill it up again this time with diesel . it should be ok. if it is chattering or has no power then you may have a problem. but make sure that you get out as much as you can. make sure that you have some cans to put the contaminated fuel in then you have some fuel for you lawn mower
Old 02-03-2010, 12:51 AM
.Newbie.

so running gas on accident in a dmax, and it wont blow up right a way wow
Old 03-19-2010, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Default Lmm

Hi,

Just a word that the 25% dilution threshold may not apply to LMM engines.

FWIW.
Member #27
09 K-2500 Standard Cab
Universal Fuel Filtration
Cedar Creek Silverback 33RL Fifth Wheel
In The Past: '82 6.2 Jimmy Blazer, '93 6.5 GMC K-2500, '01 DMAX K-2500
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 PM

My dealer says the trucks are designed to downrate the power enough and shut down prior to any damage being done and you should be OK
Old 06-03-2013, 05:54 PM
Enthusiast

Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
211,000 miles / DVD player
Kennedy Diesel Tuned Computer
Manually extended towing mirrors
Winter Grill Cover/screen
Tough Country front bumper
12,000# Warn Winch
KC Fog Lights
KC 130w Driving Lights
Bradford Built Flatbed
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
More things covered by crochet than I'll admit.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Administrator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimpyhauler View Post
Dmax,

Very nice having you around. Thanks.
You're welcome, alway.

Was there a reason you're in THIS thread? Not sayin'?
dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com
Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 AM

Default Just takes some work to correct.

2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Allison, Duarmax 6.6L:
Put 24 gals of gas into the tank that still had about 1.5 gals of diesel remaining.
Drove 9 miles. Other that a slight increase in diesel noise everything seemed OK. Parked it and shut it down.

Returned to truck 2 hours later, would not restart. Tried 3 times, then flashed back to image of the pump and realized I grabbed the wrong nozzle.
Smelling the filler spout confirmed the error. Embarrassing tow truck ride home.

Fixed it by:
Used a siphon pump and several gas containers to empty tank.
Replaced fuel filter.
Added 5 gals diesel.
When priming filter, I kept pumping until only diesel came out the bleeder port.
Caught overflow in a drain pan.

Ready to try starting. Figured I'd give it 3 tries for 10 secs each.
First and second tries did nothing but crank the engine and further purge the fuel lines.
On the third try it fired up, ran erratic for about 10 secs, then smoothed right out.

Drove to gas station filled it with diesel and normal engine sounds and exhaust smell returned. All seems to be fine now.
Phew!

My gardener just scored 25 gals of free lawnmower gas with a little diesel fuel additive.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:03 PM

A couple years ago I put gas in my diesel engine, it sat for a week or so, it now cranks and runs after I drained the tank and lines but only when you prime the filter, once you quit priming it quits running. What could this be
Old 02-18-2015, 01:05 PM
Building another 6.2L powered vehicle

You could have a leak in the filter housing, allowing air in which shuts it down.
82 K20, 6.2, SM465, NP208, stock except for bed rack, snow plow, and glow plugs are on a toggle switch. It works great for plowing!
72 Postal Jeep - Yet another project
Old 02-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pascuzzo View Post
2006 Chevy Silverado 2500HD, Allison, Duarmax 6.6L:
Put 24 gals of gas into the tank that still had about 1.5 gals of diesel remaining.
Drove 9 miles. Other that a slight increase in diesel noise everything seemed OK. Parked it and shut it down.

Returned to truck 2 hours later, would not restart. Tried 3 times, then flashed back to image of the pump and realized I grabbed the wrong nozzle.
Smelling the filler spout confirmed the error. Embarrassing tow truck ride home.

Fixed it by:
Used a siphon pump and several gas containers to empty tank.
Replaced fuel filter.
Added 5 gals diesel.
When priming filter, I kept pumping until only diesel came out the bleeder port.
Caught overflow in a drain pan.

Ready to try starting. Figured I'd give it 3 tries for 10 secs each.
First and second tries did nothing but crank the engine and further purge the fuel lines.
On the third try it fired up, ran erratic for about 10 secs, then smoothed right out.

Drove to gas station filled it with diesel and normal engine sounds and exhaust smell returned. All seems to be fine now.
Phew!

My gardener just scored 25 gals of free lawnmower gas with a little diesel fuel additive.
You did good! That's basically what I would recommend anyone do for a situation like yours.

Like what you mentioned, the fuel mixture can be and should be used. It's too expensive to waste. Just use it in an engine that isn't too picky - like a lawn mower. If the mixture is mostly diesel, I'd only use 10-20% of the gas/diesel mix per lawn mower tank and the balance straight pump gas. Jim