TheDieselPage.com Forums

The Diesel Page Forums

2019 - TDP's 23rd Anniversary
What's New | Feature Articles | Product Reviews | Member's Area | Free Forum Registration
Duramax 6600 Diesel Page | Advertiser's Section | Classified Ads | The Diesel Page - Publications

Go Back   TheDieselPage.com Forums > 2001-2019 Chevrolet & GMC 2500HD/3500 Light Trucks > Duramax 6600
Register FAQ Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Duramax 6600 Welcome to the Internet's first Duramax 6600 diesel discussion forum for the LB7, LLY, LBZ, LMM, LML, LGH & L5P RPO code engines. Tips on performance, fuel economy, troubleshooting and more.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:55 PM
Long Distance Crew Chief for BMDMAX

The studs are plenty fine for multiple uses.

How did you clean the deck?
2002 Chev K2500HD D/A CC Long LT 11.77@ 124mph at 7700# fuel only-e.t. needs help
2005 Chev K3500SRW D/A CC Long LT(SOLD)
2007 Chev K2500 Classic EC Short LT (Sold)
2012 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC Long LTZ Happy Birthday to me! Built 1 working day after my birthday and delivered 7 days later.
2016 GMC K3500SRW D/A CC short LTZ

Custom tuning in house using EFI Live tuning software!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

I cleaned up the engine block deck using a flat piece of steel wrapped in 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper, IIRC. Whatever grit AllData said to use, followed by careful wiping with a lint free cloth. The mechanics in the shop were very clear about how critical it was that the deck be absolutely clean. The passenger side bank did not fall together as sharply as the driver's side did though - it took a bit of work to clamp things together and now I wonder if something didn't get tweaked that held together until a few days ago.

John, given that I'll be reusing the head studs, do you have the instruction sheet available (torque sequences and values) that I might ask you to copy and e-mail? I of course tossed the one that came with the parts, KNOWING I'd not need them again

There's no point being a pessimist - it wouldn't work anyway.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 AM
Enthusiast

Got the head stud torques and sequences from the ARP site... AWESOME that they provide the online resource of a catalog and specs page for their products!
http://arpinstructions.com/instructions/230-4201.pdf

Time to continue the teardown. The batteries, EDU, TCM, fan, shroud, alternator, intake air, charged air, front wheels, fender wells, heater bypass tubes, expansion tank, and a few other parts were removed in a few hours yesterday from the passenger side bank. I can almost see the top of the valve covers... Now to dig through way more plumbing than Joe The Plumber has ever had to mess with.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

7 hours of work later and I'm in. Sometimes I hate it when I'm right, but it is good to find the problem you're looking for.

This is the cylinder head that covers the right rear cylinder (#7? Passenger side). Looks like a trip to the machinist is in order and I'm hoping what looks like a crack is only a scratch that will disappear with a bit of milling.
I KNEW this side did not go together like it was meant to.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:39 AM

Default Pic Request

Is there anyway that I could view the pictures from this post. A lot of useful information in the text alone but seeing the photos would be a great help. I'm attempting the project and could really use the pictures. Thanks
Old 09-05-2017, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

Since Photobucket decided they wanted many $$$ to host pics that could be hotlinked to another site, I dropped 'em. Unfortunately this means no pics are available.
That said, I used my cell phone to take about 150 pics during the disassembly. Those pics (which you can easily take yourself) were key in making sure things were correctly reassembled. I also took a LOT of notes and related them to the pics, as well as having an AllDataDIY subscription to help me along.

IIRC the only special tools I needed were a flywheel lock (goes where the starter goes) and an air hammer/wrench to loosen the crankshaft pulley. Other than that, it's just patience and paying close attention. If you've never done this before, plan on 60 hours.

Old 09-05-2017, 01:02 PM

I understand about Photobucket. I'm taking lots of pictures as I disassemble and that should help me when it comes time to put it back together. Thanks again for the time and effort you put into the write up. It has been very helpful and the occasional laugh has been welcome relief to a stressful project.
Old 09-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

If I remember correctly, two points in the reassembly were tough:
1) the intake manifold crossover. I'd had the cylinder heads cleaned, shaved, and given fresh valve guides. The shaving had changed the distance the intake manifolds were from each other and there's a center piece that drops between them. Since they were effectively closer together due to the shaving, the 4 screws (on each side?) were kinda tough to get in place.
2) the coolant crossover on the front of the engine. There's a little rubber tube somewhere in there that proved to be somewhat difficult to properly install.

There might've been some bolts on the back of the engine that were hard to get to as well, but I didn't have to pull the turbo to do anything.

Pictures, notes, and alldata. And a lot of time.

You're gonna be stoked when your engine fires up after 10 or 20 seconds of cranking. You'll know every darn piece of the top end of your engine too.

Did I mention that using anti-seize compound on reassembly is a really good idea? Your torques will be more uniform and if you ever have to get back in there it'll come apart much more easily.