Thread: Removing fuel tank

Default Removing fuel tank

Fuel leaking from tank area of 00 6.5 Want to remove tank,but not sure what best way is. Any suggestions? I can’t see much even with removing straps and lowering tank few inches. Looks like metal fuel line runs along inner frame rail and turns to rubber for 5 to 8 inch’s then back to metal which is on top of tank where I can’t see. I’m concerned if I lower tank more the metal fuel lines may bend and leak. I was thinking of cutting the rubber sections to drop tank and reconnect with barbed unions and few hose clamps. Any thoughts!! Thanks

Arrow

Just remove the bed. It's much easier than you might think (easier than only dropping the tank).
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

I second DMAX. Without any special equipment, Remove a handful of bolts, disconnect a couple of electrical connectors and get three friends and walk the bed right off. EASY-Peezy!
    d
    Dave, N9LOV
    Member #242
    Dave's Diesels:
    Sold June, 07 '82 1/2 ton 4X4;340k miles
    '97 2 Dr Tahoe, Intercooled,
    Kennedy ECM, 4" Exhaust
    '02 GMC

Arrow

It really is that easy. Be sure to disconnect the fuel filler(s) and any RV connectors (camper or 5th wheel), as well. You can even do it solo, if necessary, as I have a couple times. It's easiest using garage rafters or any type of overhead support, using motorcycle or ratchet straps. One at each corner, taking up a little at a time until the chassis can be rolled out. If outdoors or w/o overhead support, I once drove T-Posts at each corner, then used motorcycle straps to suspend the bed from them. Piece o' cake.

Important note:
    If you drive the chassis w/o the bed on, keep in mind the less weight on the rear axle. It's a different driving experience, so go easy on the throttle and tight turns. Even crossing flat/wet grass can be exciting.
    1985 Blazer 6.2
    2001 GMC 2500HD D/A
    dmaxmaverick@thedieselpage.com

Roger that.