Thread: Duramax Diesel Conversion Guide

Arrow Duramax Diesel Conversion Guide

June 25, 2018 - The newest edition of the Duramax Diesel Conversion Guide is now available. This brand new for 2018 second edition includes glossy full-color photo-quality front and back covers (shown above), a completely reformatted and revised interior that includes 58 glossy pages (16 B/W + 42 full color pages) filled with updated photography and graphics - plus even more information that will help you succeed. Click this link to see more.

https://www.thedieselpage.com/duramaxconversions.htm

You state that this was written as a guide for 1988-98 C/K Duramax diesel conversions, but can you say how useful it would be to guide other Duramax conversions? I realize that fitment would be a completely different animal, but I'm assuming that much of the other issues of getting the engine operational would apply to other conversions?
    '94 GMC 6.5TD K1500 4L80E 2-Door Yukon SLE 221K
    '93 Chevrolet 6.5TD K2500HD NV4500 Std. Cab Longbed 187K
    '85 Toyota 22R RN60 4x4 Std. Cab Shortbed 178K (Currently retired for rebuild)
    Diesel Page Member #2423

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by trbankii View Post
    You state that this was written as a guide for 1988-98 C/K Duramax diesel conversions, but can you say how useful it would be to guide other Duramax conversions? I realize that fitment would be a completely different animal, but I'm assuming that much of the other issues of getting the engine operational would apply to other conversions?
    Thanks for your note.

The photography and conversion process covered in the Guide is for the 1988-98 C/K because that's what was used to create the Guide. However, this edition of the Guide includes a photo story about 1987 Chevy C30 D/A conversion and a marine race boat Duramax conversion, which help illustrate the range and possibilities.

In addition, I've talked to others through the years who were involved in converting other vehicles... like a 1950 Chevy pickup, a 1970 Chevy pickup, and newer (2002+) Tahoes and Suburbans. One of those was a 2007 Chevy 2500 Suburban... So... the '50 Chev was challenging because of how narrow the engine bay is, but it's not impossible for those willing to do some frame mods.

The Chevy K1500 shown in the Guide was nearly stripped bare of all original wiring (except for lights), which was replaced with new harnesses that matched the model year of the engine/trans package. So, from an electronic/electrical standpoint, any vehicle could be converted using the Guide as a "guide". The motor mount drawings are also included, so any vehicle that can be made to use the GM motor mounts becomes a potential conversion project. So yes, the information in the Conversion Guide about getting the engine operational would/could apply to other vehicles.
    Last edited by More Power; 06-29-2018 at 07:39.