Thread: Connecting the 700R4 TV Cable

Cool Connecting the 700R4 TV Cable

Hi All, Great Website, my first time posting here so apologies in advance if I don't do this right. I'm trying to convert my 89 4x4 GMC Suburban 6.2 TH400 over to a 700R4. Eventually I hope to put in a Cummins on to this same tranny (but thats lots of bucks down the road). I have a doner tranny out of an 90 gasser with the same transfer case. My questions are:

1. Does anyone have photos/Diagrams of how the tv cable connects to the bracket(s) on top and thus to the fuel pump. I can find plenty of diagrams for a gasser carburated setup, but not the diesel. I'v purchased the bracket from a junkyard, but they didn't have any setups that I could take photos from.

2. Other than converting the shift springs from gas to diesel, changing out the converter to an appropriate diesel one, and changing the speedo electronic hookup to my current style (gear driven), what other items am I overlooking (i.e. what is the best stall speed for a converter, etc.).

I plan on having a tranny shop do the tranny work and I've plenty of help to install it (gotta keep the cost low). Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance.

Diesel Burb

Welcome to TDP

The bracket that you need was used on 1/2 ton pickups, Burbs and Blazers

The bracket bolts to the back upper corner of the LH head with two bolts.

It has a more or less square hole in it that the cable anchor end goes through. There is also a rod assembly that has a slot in it that connects to the arm on the IP.

Be sure you have the TV cable for the diesel of the proper year.

A trip to the bone yard should yield a find on that bracket.

The cable has a little clip on the end that smaps over a round button on the end of the rod.

To adjust the cable, there is a little push button on the anchor end of the cable that when pressed will allow the adjustment to move.

With the cable fully connected, press the release button and slide the adjustment full toward the firewall, now gently press the throttle pedal all the way to the mat.

This should set the cable to the proper place.

I have a proper bracket. Let me see if I can snap a pix and post it a little later.

Also, I hatw to toss cold water on the campfire, but the 700R will likely not fare too well behind the Cummins.

Even the 4L80 can at times have issues with the combination.

The TH400 is by far and away a better gear box.

The 700R can be upfitted to do fairly well but expect to spend some serious $$$$$

I have built these little critters to live and even doing my own bench work, its costly.

Missy
    Last edited by Robyn; 10-30-2009 at 06:53. Reason: addition
    (1) 1995 Suburban 2500 4x4
    (1) 1997 Astro
    (1) 2005 Suburban (Papa Smurf)
    THIS IS BOW TIE COUNTRY

Smile

Thanks Robyn, I'll look forward to your photos when you find them. Not too many boneyards in my area that have these older diesel setups (but I still keep looking & hoping). Thanks again for your help.

Default Looking for TV bracket diagrams for 700r4

I have an 85 K20 with the 6.2L diesel and am putting a 700r4 behind it (the 400 took a dump). I was able to acquire a TV bracket, but do not know where to install it, how it is supposed to look. Does anyone have pictures of where to install, what it is supposed to look like when it is installed and how it is all connected up?

I keep reading that it is easy to install just a couple of bolts on the driver side water jacket, but it does not help without some sort of diagram. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by drharper1 View Post
    I have an 85 K20 with the 6.2L diesel and am putting a 700r4 behind it (the 400 took a dump). I was able to acquire a TV bracket, but do not know where to install it, how it is supposed to look. Does anyone have pictures of where to install, what it is supposed to look like when it is installed and how it is all connected up?

I keep reading that it is easy to install just a couple of bolts on the driver side water jacket, but it does not help without some sort of diagram. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. TIA
    The TV bracket bolts to the inside/rear of the head at the same location as the glow controller. Jim

Here's a picture of the factory bracket installed (circled in red):

You will also need the rod that connects the TV cable to the injection pump (red arrow). It's basically just an extension of the TV cable.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Default Great picture

That is awesome, thank you, is there a different bracket to clIp the TV cable into so it does not move?

Quote Originally Posted by drharper1 View Post
    That is awesome, thank you, is there a different bracket to clIp the TV cable into so it does not move?
    The bracket circled in red is designed to where the TV cable snaps into it to prevent movement. If your cable does not snap into the bracket, then either you have the wrong cable or the wrong bracket.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter