Thread: Suburban fuel tank removal

Default Suburban fuel tank removal

Just wondering if anybody has any tips for dropping the fuel tank on a 98 suburban? Are the supply and return lines metal and require the special tool to disconnect them? Or are they simply rubber lines with gear clamps? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Field6.5 View Post
    Just wondering if anybody has any tips for dropping the fuel tank on a 98 suburban? Are the supply and return lines metal and require the special tool to disconnect them? Or are they simply rubber lines with gear clamps? Thanks
    No special tools required. They are rubber lines with swivel connections on them. Make sure the tank is as empty as possible. Even just a few gallons is quite heavy, and the fuel sloshing around when you go to drop it down makes the tank want to tip over. Drop the tank just enough to where you can access the top of the tank and disconnect the lines, then drop the rest of the way down. I used a floor jack with a block of wood to support the tank. Inspect the rubber lines, and if there are any signs of cracking, replace them before reinstalling the tank. I used standard fuel line and hose clamps on mine, since the OE crimped rubber and hard line combo was no longer available.

Casey
    1995 K1500 Tahoe 2 door, 6.5LTD, 4L80E, NP241, 3.42's, 285/75R16 BFG K02's; 1997 506 block; Kennedy OPS harness, gauges, Quick Heat plugs, and TD-Max chip; Dtech FSD on FSD Cooler; vacuum pump deleted, HX35 turbo, Turbo Master, 3.5" Kennedy exhaust, F code intake; dual t/stats, HO water pump, Champion radiator; Racor fuel filter

Quote Originally Posted by arveetek View Post
    No special tools required. They are rubber lines with swivel connections on them. Make sure the tank is as empty as possible. Even just a few gallons is quite heavy, and the fuel sloshing around when you go to drop it down makes the tank want to tip over. Drop the tank just enough to where you can access the top of the tank and disconnect the lines, then drop the rest of the way down. I used a floor jack with a block of wood to support the tank. Inspect the rubber lines, and if there are any signs of cracking, replace them before reinstalling the tank. I used standard fuel line and hose clamps on mine, since the OE crimped rubber and hard line combo was no longer available.

Casey
    Thank you!